Photo Cubes for Kids
Keep the memory alive. Photographs and scrapbook paper add to the color and creativity. Kids can make these photo cubes for themselves or for friends. It's a great birthday party craft.
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:
- 4" cube
- Embellishments of choice: charms; themed / alpha / sentiment stickers; natural materials; etc.
- Themed scrapbooking papers: 12" x 12" sheet (to cover foam cube); various scraps
- Large rubber bands (optional)
- Photographs or color copies
- Craft punches (optional)
- Large sewing needle (optional)
- Thick, white craft glue
- Cut one 4-1/2" x 12" strip and one 4-1/2" x 6" strip from background paper. Overlap two short ends 1/2" to create one 4-1/2" x 17-1/2" strip; glue overlapped ends to secure. In addition, cut a 4" square from background paper.
- Wrap long paper strip around four sides of foam cube, allowing paper to extend 1/2" above top edge of cube; do not glue yet. Use fingers to crimp paper at cube corners; remove paper and crisply fold at crimp marks. Score and fold a line 1/2" from top edge of strip, as well.
- Glue paper strip around cube sides, overlapping ends. Hold paper in place with hands or large rubber bands until glue dries. Clip paper corners above foam and fold excess down to top of cube; glue to secure. Glue 4" x 4" paper square to top of cube.
- Decide on photo placement for sides and top of cube; trim photos as needed.
- Refer to photo to decorate cube with desired embellishments and photos. Note: If inserting metal brads into foam, first use large sewing needle to poke hole through paper and into foam to prevent crumpling or tearing.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.
This craft project was featured in 13 Kids Crafts for Father's Day.