Ball and Cube Tabletop Sculpture
Transform shapes of STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam into custom art for any room. Versatile surface is an ideal canvas for countless creative techniques like this faux-iron finish.
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:
- Ball, 5"
- Cube, 5"
- Acrylic paints: black; white
- Iron Graphite Texture Fierro™ Medium by DecoArt®
- Lightweight spackling
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Medium flat paintbrush
- Disposable palette
- Water basin
- Paper towels
- Disposable containers, two
- Putty knife, 1"
- Fork (optional)
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick, white craft glue
- Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut very thin slice from bottom of foam ball.
- Follow manufacturer's directions to mix spackling in disposable container until smooth and spreadable. Use putty knife to spread even coat of spackling over foam ball, avoiding flat edge; let dry and sand smooth. Repeat. Paint ball white; let dry. Optional: To keep a grip on the ball, insert a fork into the flat side and hold the fork handle while spackling the ball.
- In second disposable container, stir small amount of black paint into a larger amount of iron graphite texture medium until pleased with color; mix well.
- Use putty knife to spread even coat of tinted texture medium onto top and sides of foam cube. Let dry completely.
- Use glue gun to glue ball to top of cube.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow.
For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.