Placemat Travel Jewelry Case
These recycled craft ideas from Beacon Adhesives make great gifts too! Repurpose a pretty place mat into this gorgeous placemat travel jewelry case, the perfect gift for a jet setter!
- Padded fabric placemat, approximately 12 ¾” X 18”
- Coordinating fabric for pockets 2” wider than placement and 10” deep. Sample used 20” X 10
- 3 yards 5/8” –3/4” wide coordinating satin ribbon
- Iron, scissors
- Fold and iron ½” hems to the wrong side of all sides of the coordinating “pocket” fabric. Roll and press another ½” on the 10” sides, completely sealing raw edges. Unfold pressed sides and run a thin line of FABRI-TAC under the last fold, refold and gently press down with your fingers to eliminate oozing.
- Fold and press top and bottom edges in 1”, completely sealing raw edges, and glue top and bottom hems into place.
- Glue ribbon onto pocket fabric by gluing along top hem, wrapping ribbon around to wrong sides on both edges. Glue ribbons along side seams and pocket divider lines as in picture. Adjust pocket size and quantity to suit your needs. Sample has 6 pockets varying in size from 3 ½” to 1 ¾” wide. Wrap ribbons around to the wrong side at both the top and bottom.
- Lay pocket onto placement. Fold bottom corners diagonally if using a placemat with rounded edges as in sample. Apply FABRI-TAC to wrong side of hems and pocket divider lines and start gluing on one side and bottom corner. Glue one section and press in place. Continue with glue along first pocket divider line and bottom hem. Repeat gluing for each pocket divider. Glue final corner and side in place.
- Fold top 3” of the placemat down, covering the tops of the pockets. Iron to crease.
- Either fold or roll up case. To fold, bring both ends into center and then bring halves together. Wrap 30-32” of matching ribbon around the case and tie in a bow. Mark where the center of the ribbon is on the case and then glue in place with FABRI-TAC.