We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Free Christmas crochet afghan patterns are simply lovely. Make this beautiful throw and keep it on your couch all season. It's the perfect blanket for snuggling under while unwrapping presents. If you love ripple patterns, you have to admire the colors and texture in this beautiful throw. Post stitches add interest and even more texture! The variegated stripes look positively lovely with this pattern, and the project is both decorative and practical for chilly December evenings. Celebrate the holidays by making an afghan that will become tradition to use each Christmas.
1. Throw is made in a ripple pattern which consists of a series of 3-stitch “peaks” and 2-skipped-stitch “valleys”, with 12 dc worked between peaks and valleys. You may need to work several rows before the ripple is clearly visible.
2. To change color, work last stitch of old color to last yarn over. Yarn over with new color and draw through all loops on hook to complete stitch. Proceed with new color. Cut old color.
3. To lengthen the throw, repeat Rows 2–25. Lengthening the throw may require the purchase of additional yarn.
Crochet HookI/9 or 5.5 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Crochet Gauge1 ripple = 6½” (16.5 cm) from peak to peak; 6 rows = 3½” (9 cm). CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauge.
Finished SizeThrow measures 45” wide x 56” long (114.5 cm x 142 cm).
- RED HEART® With Love®: 3 skeins 1101 Eggshell A, 1 skein each 1909 Holly Berry B, 1914 Berry Red C, 1601 Lettuce D, 1621 Evergreen E, and 1704 Bubblegum F
- Susan Bates® Crochet Hook: 5.5mm [US I-9]
- Yarn needle
Be sure to ENTER TO WIN the With Love Yarn Bundle to use while making this project! Leave a comment on this page and you will receive a bonus entry. Don't miss the grand prize giveaway including one of each prize featured in the 12 Days of Christmas!
With A, ch 191.
Row 1 (wrong side): Work 2 sc in 2nd ch from hook, *sc in next 12 ch, skip next 2 ch, sc in next 12 ch, 3 sc in next ch; repeat from * 5 times, sc in next 12 ch, skip next 2 ch, sc in next 12 ch, 2 sc in last ch; change to B, turn—190 sts.
Row 2 (right side): Ch 3 (counts as first dc here and throughout), dc in first st, *dc in next 12 sts, skip next 2 sts, dc in next 12 sts, 3 dc in next st; repeat from * 5 times, dc in next 12 sts, skip next 2 sts, dc in next 12 sts, 2 dc in last st; change to C, turn.
Row 3: Ch 1, 2 sc in first st, *sc in next 12 sts, skip next 2 sts, sc in next 12 sts, 3 sc in next st; repeat from * 5 times, sc in next 12 sts, skip next 2 sts, sc in next 12 sts, 2 sc in last st; change to D, turn.
Row 4: Repeat Row 2; change to A.
Row 5: Repeat Row 3; change to C.
Row 6: Repeat Row 2; change to D.
Row 7: Repeat Row 3; change to E.
Row 8: Repeat Row 4.
Rows 9 & 10: Repeat Rows 3 and 4.
Row 11: Repeat Row 2; do not change color.
Row 12: Ch 3, dc in first st, *bpdc around next 12 sts, skip next 2 sts, bpdc around next 12 sts, 3 dc in next st; repeat from * 5 times, bpdc around next 12 sts, skip next 2 sts, bpdc around next 12 sts, 2 dc in last st, turn.
Row 13: Ch 3, dc in first st, *fpdc around next 12 sts, skip next 2 sts, fpdc around next 12 sts, 3 dc in next st; repeat from * 5 times, fpdc around next 12 sts, skip next 2 sts, fpdc around next 12 sts, 2 dc in last st; change to F, turn.
Row 14: Repeat Row 4.
Rows 15–17: Repeat Rows 11–13.
Rows 18 and 19: Repeat Rows 4 and 5.
Row 20: Repeat Row 4.
Row 21: Repeat Row 3; change to B.
Row 22: Repeat Row 11.
Row 23: Repeat Row 13; do not change color.
Row 24: Repeat Row 12; change to A.
Row 25: Repeat Row 21.
Rows 26–97: Repeat Rows 2–25 three times.
Weave in ends.
Click image to view larger version.
Click the chart to view larger image.
- Bpdc (back post double crochet)
- Yarn over, insert hook from back side of work to front and to back again around the post of indicated stitch; yarn over and pull up a loop (3 loops on hook), yarn over and draw through 2 loops (2 loops on hook), yarn over and draw through 2 loops (1 loop on hook). Skip the stitch “in front of” the Bpdc
- Fpdc (front post double crochet)
- Yarn over, insert hook from front side of work to back and to front again around post of indicated stitch; yarn over and pull up a loop (3 loops on hook), yarn over and draw through 2 loops (2 loops on hook), yarn over and draw through 2 loops (1 loop on hook).
- There is a maximum of one extra entry per person. The extra entry will be based upon a comment left on this post. Duplicate comments are not tallied.
- The winner will be selected at random from the comments on this page and the entries on the contest page.
- The winner will be contacted on the morning of December 26th, 2017.
- Email Address provided in their account (please do NOT leave your email address in the comments--you already provided it when you created your account)
- You have until December 24th, 2017 at 11:59pm EST to leave your comment on this post. Comments posted after that will not be counted.
- Contest open to anyone 18+ in US and/or Canada. Excludes Quebec and Puerto Rico.
Would you keep this afghan for yourself or give it as a gift?
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Crocheted Snowflake Table Runner
Simple Striped Santa Stockings
Little Stocking Ornaments
14 Free Christmas Stocking Crochet Patterns
Ripples of Joy Christmas Afghan Crochet Pattern
34 Easy Crochet Christmas Gifts
Christmas Striped Throw
Lily Sugar'n Cream Crochet Stocking
Christmas Pinwheel Placemat and Coasters
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Paracord Projects: 11 Pretty Ideas for What to Make out of Paracord
- 46 Free Crochet Patterns for Stuffed Animals
- Interlocking Triangles Earrings
- 8" Tapestry Shamrock Afghan Square
- Glitter Heat Transfer Vinyl
- Easy Easter Centerpiece
- Tie-dyed T-Shirt Quilt Picnic Blanket
- Easter Bunny Butt Pillow
- Easter Handprint and Footprint Canvas Critters
- Cute Easter Critter Treat Jars
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home