Winter Ponytail Beanie
The cute tail on these Winter Ponytail Beanies is a fun detail that sets these snuggly hats apart from other free crochet projects. Use colorful and soft worsted weight yarns like Wintuck from Caron to make this project. Easy crochet patterns are perfect for beginners, and this pattern will help you learn the basics of crochet. You'll want to wear this hat all season long - it will surely keep you warm and toasty when the weather drops. You can also create a few at once and save them for holiday or birthday gifts. Use a variety of yarn colors to best suit the gift recipient.
- Caron International's Wintuk 2 skeins color of your choice (colors shown are White and Navy)
- 1 yard ribbon or ribbons (color of your choice)
- Size J crochet hook
PLEASE NOTE: Yarn usage may vary depending on your particular yarn techniques.
Popcorn St. Yarn over hook, insert hook through next sc, pull yarn through, yarn over hook, pull through two loops on hook, yarn over hook, insert hook through same sc, pull yarn through, yarn over hook, pull through two loops on hook, yarn over hook, insert in same sc, pull yarn through, yarn over hook, and pull through two loops on hook, yarn over hook, and pull through all four loops on hook.
- Ch 45.
- Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each remaining ch across, ch 1, turn.
- Row 2: Working in back loops throughout, sc in next 2 sc, make popcorn st in next sc, sc in next 3 sc, make popcorn st in next sc, sc in each of the remaining sc to end, ch 1, turn.
- Rows 3,4 & 5: Sc in each sc to end, ch 1, turn.
- Row 6: Sc in next 4 sc, make popcorn st in next sc, sc in each sc to end, ch 1, turn.
- Row 7: Repeat pattern alternating two popcorn st and one popcorn st for the next 68 rows, ending with 1 popcorn st row. Fasten off.
- Cut 39 strands of yarn approx. 48 inches in length. Working along top part of hat, (long end) fold one strand of yarn in half to form a loop. Insert hook through the end of row on hat, draw strand loop through, draw loose ends through loops and pull up tightly. Continue to work strands every other row to end. Sew side seams together. Weave yarn through top of hat (fringe end) gather tightly. Divide into 3 parts (26 ends each) and braid. Fasten off. Tie ribbon(s) to the top and 31/2” from end of the pony tail.
Read NextBlue Beret Crochet Beanie Pattern