Effortless Crochet Beanie
Everybody needs a friend, especially accessories. Don't just wear a scarf by itself, but rather use this free crochet hat pattern and make an Effortless Crochet Beanie. This simple hat will complete your outfit, and your favorite scarf will be glad you made her a buddy. Choose any color you desire and put this free beanie pattern to the test. Good things come in pairs, and sometimes the only thing you need to complete your outfit is a cute matching hat. Your wardrobe will surely welcome the addition!
- Red Heart Soft, or any worsted weight #4 yarn, 150-175 yards.
- Hook Size – J/6.0
- Tapestry needle for weaving in the ends.
- Band – 1 sc row (width) and 2 rows of sc (length) = 1”
- 8 dc and 5 rows = 2”
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- fpdc – front post double crochet
- sc – single crochet
- sl st – slip stitch
Ch 3 is considered first dc throughout the pattern.
- Leave a long tail (4”) before making your beginning ch. This joins the band of the hat.
- Ch 5
- Row 1: sc in 2nd chain from hook and in each remaining ch across, ch 1 turn (4 sc)
- Row 2: sc in first ch and each ch across, ch 1 turn. (4 sc)
- Row 3-72: Repeat Row 2 until it reaches approx. 20”. Do not fasten off working yarn. The working yarn and tail should end opposite of each other.
- Using 4’ tail and yarn needle, line up the two ends and whip stitch the seam and back loop stitches together to form the band. Insert the hook into the working yarn and begin the body of the hat.
- Round 1: Ch 1 and sc in first st and each st around, join with sl st to first sc. (72 st) (You will be crocheting evenly around).
- Round 2: ch 3, dc in next sc and each sc around, join with sl st in top of 3rd ch. (72 st)
- Round 3: ch 3, dc in next 2 dc, fpdc around post of dc in theprevious round, *dc in next 3 dc, fpdc around post of dc in the previous round*, repeat from *to*, join with sl st in top of 3rd ch. (72 st)
- Round 4-22: Repeat Round 3 (The height of your hat should measure approximately 7.25”-7.50”)
- Round 23: ch 1 and sc in first dc, sc in next 2 dc, sc in next fpdc, *sc in next 3 dc, sc in next fpdc*, repeat from *to*, join with sl st to first sc. (72 st)
- Do not fasten off. Measure out enough yarn to weave through every other sc. I’m an overachiever and probably cut around 20” of material.
- Take your tapestry needle and weave under the loops of every other sc around, pull the yarn tightly. This will close up the hat. Sew the top of the hat with a few stitches for security. Fasten off.
- Optional Round: Insert hook into bottom row and form a sl st, ch 1 and sc in same st, sc in each st around, join with sl st to first sc. (72st)
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
More from "Hats"
If you're looking for crochet hat patterns, free beanie patterns and more, this is a great list of projects to test out. Make one for yourself and another for someone you love.