Gingham Baby Blanket
This checkered baby's blanket from Bernat Yarns is a fun take on a traditional style, using crocheted squares that look like snowflakes!
Find this beautiful project and more in our collection of 41 Easy Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns.
- Bernat® Baby Coordinates (160 g / 5.6 oz)
- Contrast A: 2 balls of #09131 (Blue Bon Bon)
- Contrast B: 3 balls of #01005 (Sky)
- Contrast C: 1 ball of #01000 (White)
- Crochet Hook: Size 4 mm (U.S. G or 6)or size needed to obtain gauge.
Approx 38 ins [96.5 cm] square.
One Motif = 5 ins [12.5 cm] square.
MOTIF (make 16 with A, 24 with B and 9 with C).
- Ch 4. Join with sl st in first ch to form a ring.
- 1st rnd: Ch 3 (counts as dc). 3 dc in ring. (Ch 3. 4 dc in ring) 3 times. Ch 3. Join with sl st to top of ch 3.
- 2nd rnd: Ch 5 (counts as dc and ch 2). *Miss next 2 dc. 1 dc in next dc. (2 dc. Ch 3. 2 dc) in next ch-3 sp.** 1 dc in next dc. Ch 2. Rep from * twice more, then from * to ** once. Join with sl st in 3rd ch of ch 5.
- 3rd rnd: Ch 5. *Miss next ch-2 sp. 1 dc in each of next 3 dc. (2 dc. Ch 3. 2 dc) in next ch-3 sp.** 1 dc in each of next 3 dc. Ch 2. Rep from * twice more, then from * to ** once. 1 dc in each of last 2 dc. Join with sl st in 3rd ch of ch 5.
- 4th rnd: Ch 5. *Miss next ch-2 sp. 1 dc in each of next 5 dc. (2 dc. Ch 3. 2 dc) in next ch-3 sp.** 1 dc in each of next 5 dc. Ch 2. Rep from * twice more, then from * to ** once. 1 dc in each of last 4 dc. Join with sl st in 3rd ch of ch 5.
- 5th rnd: Ch 1. 1 sc in same sp as last sl st. *2 sc in next ch-2 sp. 1 sc in each of next 7 dc. 5 sc in next ch-3 sp.** 1 sc in each of next 7 dc. Rep from * twice more, then from * to ** once. 1 sc in each of last 6 dc. Join with sl st to first sc. Fasten off.
- Using B, crochet Motifs tog as shown in diagram.
- 1st rnd: (RS). Join C with sl st in any corner sc. Ch 1. 3 sc in same sp. *(Work 21 sc along side of next Motif) 7 times. 3 sc in next corner sc. Rep from * twice more. (Work 21 sc along side of next Motif) 7 times. Join with sl st to first sc. 600 sc.
- 2nd rnd: Ch 3 (counts as dc). 1 dc in next sc. *Ch 1. Miss next sc. 1 dc in each of next 2 sc. Rep from * to last sc. Ch 1. Miss last sc. Join with sl st to top of ch 3.
- 3rd rnd: Sl st in next dc. Sl st in next ch-1 sp. Ch 1. 1 sc in same sp. *Ch 4. 1 sc in next ch-1 sp. Rep from * around, ending with ch 4. Join with sl st to first sc.
- 4th rnd: Sl st in each of next 2 ch. Ch 1. 1 sc in same sp. *5 dc in next ch-4 sp. 1 sc in next ch-4 sp. Rep from * around, ending with 5 dc in last ch-4 sp. Join with sl st to first sc. Fasten off.
Read NextMeadow Afghan Square Crochet Pattern
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Aug 03, 2018
I am always a fan of the motif patterns for so many reasons. They are portable and can easily be modified to bee made the size you want. All you need to consider is the amount of yarn to make that change. This gingham pattern is refreshing in that it allows the option to make those changes. Thanks for the free pattern.
Jul 18, 2018
This is a quick and easy way to get the gingham design by creating motifs. I like this motif design because of the design within. This could easily be changed to a blanket for a girl by switching out the blue colors for a pink. If you do not know the gender of the baby, this could be created in shades of orange or green. On the way modern end of the spectrum, white grey and black would be very different.
May 27, 2018
This is such a cute baby blanket pattern! I see a few comments regarding the number of balls of yarn needed. Usually I will buy extra yarn when I am making a specific project, because this happens to me more often than not that I run out of yarn. This is such a cute pattern, and if you are needing a blanket for a little girl you could just change the colors to a light and dark pink and it would be amazing!
May 22, 2018
The amount of yarn is completely off. I happened to buy a ball of yarn which had this pattern on the back, and it had the correct quantities 1 ball of white, 2 balls of the darker blue and 3 balls of pale blue.
May 29, 2018
Hi there, thank you for your comment. I'm going to update this pattern presently so it reflects that amount of yarn, and hopefully those amounts are closer for everyone! Enjoy your day.
Jun 01, 2018
Hi, I am halfway through making this now, and am able to get 12 squares out of one ball of yarn, so I think I will only need 2 balls of the pale blue. There is a wonderful pattern for booties on the back of one of my labels which takes one ball of yarn, so I will make a pair to go with the blanket. It is coming out really well, and will be a beautiful present for my new little great nephew due in September.
Jun 01, 2018
Lovely, that's good to know! I'm so glad it's turning out so well, and the booties sound like a lovely complementary gift. Happy crocheting!
Feb 09, 2017
The Gingham Baby Blanket sounds like a real easy pattern to make. It is made up of several squares and the pattern sounds easy to follow. This would be pretty in green and yellow if you did not know the sex of the baby being born.The pattern is really cute and looks very baby like. This may be one of my projects very soon.
veronica510 609363 9
Jan 14, 2017
Very disappointed. I ordered the Bernat Baby Coordinates yarn through JoAnn Fabrics online. I completed crocheting Contrast C (white) first (9 motif) Continued to the next Contrast A (Blue Bon Bon) only to discover i would ran out of yarn to finish the required 16 motifs. I only got 15 out of the ball of yarn. What i discovered was the weight I received was only 5 oz not the 5.6 oz as required in the materials section of the pattern. BERNAT BABY COORDINATES balls are only 5 oz not 5.6 oz. There is no way I will get 24 motifs out of Contrast B with one ball of their brand yarn. Very misleading. Greatly disappointed.
Jan 16, 2017
Hi Veronica, it's possible the yarn was originally produced in a 5.6oz skein and now comes in just a 5oz, but at the time the pattern was written the yarn still came in the 5.6oz size. Yarn Sub is a great website for finding alternate yarns that might be a great fit. I am sorry to hear this. Please feel free to contact Bernat/Yarnspirations directly about this as well, and they should hopefully be able to help. -Editors of FaveCrafts
ffrankdonna 153727 4
Jun 27, 2016
Is there a video for this blanket the gingham baby blanket by bernat
wiccangypsygurl 33 67516
Oct 20, 2012
Turned out great easy to follow pattern!
wiccangypsygurl 33 67516
Oct 20, 2012
Made this one for a friend and his wife who are having their first child and it turned out beautiful. Pattern was easy to follow and fun to make.
Apr 30, 2012
Looks lovely, and the colour ways are endless.
lizjeffery1 744593 9
Apr 29, 2012
That does look really pretty, my next venture is to learn to crochet, I have seen some lovely patterns here.......
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million crafters!
- Get free craft projects, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use