Patterned Crochet Afghan
Make a patterned crochet afghan in two colors for a gorgeous way to keep warm on the couch. This crochet afghan pattern is great for sprucing up your living room, too!
- Caron International's Simply Soft (6 oz/170 g skein): 4 skeins (A);
- Caron International's Simply Soft Heather(5 oz / 142 g skein): 4 skeins (B);
- Crochet hook size US H-8 (5mm), or size to obtain gauge
- Small stitch holder
- Yarn needle
In Stitch pattern, 19 sts and 8 rows = 5"/12.7 cm; gauge is not critical for this project.
dc5tog: Double crochet 5 stitches together (cluster): [Yarn over, insert hook in next st and pull up a loop, yarn over and draw through 2 loops, leaving remaining loop on hook] 5 times (worked over 2 dc, sc, 2 dc), yarn over and draw through all loops on hook.
Chain (ch), Double crochet (dc), Single crochet (sc)
SCALE STITCH (multiple of 6 sts + 1)
- Row 1: Using A, work 2 dc in fourth ch from hook, *skip 2 ch, sc in next ch, skip 2 ch, work 5 dc in next ch; repeat from * across, end last repeat work 3 dc in last ch; slip loop from hook onto holder, do NOT turn.
- Row 2: Return to beginning of previous row, join B with a slip st to third ch of beginning ch-3 worked with A; ch 3, * dc5tog over next [2 dc, sc, 2 dc], ch 2, sc in next dc (center st of dc-5 of previous row), ch 2; repeat from * across, end last repeat sc in last dc (third dc of dc-3 of the previous row), working last part of sc by drawing the loop of A from holder through 2 loops on hook, turn; do NOT cut B.
- Row 3: Using A, ch 3, work 2 dc in first sc, * skip 2 ch, sc in dc-5tog, skip 2 ch, work 5 dc in next sc; repeat from * across, end last repeat work 3 dc in first ch of beginning ch-3 worked with B; slip loop from hook onto holder, do NOT turn.
- Row 4: Repeat Row 2. Repeat Rows 3 – 4 for Scale st.
NOTE: Throw is worked lengthwise, alternating colors A and B; one row of each color is worked from right to left, then 2 rows are worked from left to right, alternately.
- Using A, chain 208.
- Row 1: Begin Scale st—205 sts after Row 1. Work even until piece measures 36" from beginning, end with Row 3 of pattern. Fasten off both colors.
- Fringe (Fringe shown was worked with 2 Fringes using A, alternating with 1 Fringe using B; cut strands accordingly, or as desired.)
- Using both colors, cut strands 16" long. Holding 2 strands together, fold fringe in half. Using crochet hook, * insert hook from WS to RS into first st at one corner, pull through loop, insert ends into loop and pull tight against edge; repeat from *, attaching 3 fringes (2-A, 1-B) for every 2 rows along both short ends of Throw. Using yarn needle, weave in ends.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
More from "Crochet Afghans"
Make your home nice and cozy with tons of crochet afghans. You can learn how to make easy crochet afghans with these free crochet afghan patterns that will brighten up every room in your house.
Sign Up for More Free Patterns