How to Make a Gourd Bowl
Using these gourd craft ideas from Bernadette Fox, ordinary candle wax, and permanent mousse hair dye, you can transform a dried gourd into a beautiful and practical bowl. The rim is stitched with natural shell coins giving this unique bowl a hint of elegance. It's the perfect project for the beginning gourd artist!
- (1) Dried gourd cleaned and cut for use as a bowl (please see my other videos)
- (2) Colors of permanent mousse hair dye (your choice)
- Candle wax on a long wooden skewer
- Heat tool
- (5/64) Drill bit and pin vise or similar tool for drilling
- (2) Colors of 15mm mussel shell coins (your choice)
- Waxed thread
- Apply one color of hair dye to entire exterior of gourd using a paper towel.
- Melt wax onto gourd in random places using heat tool then apply second color of hair dye to gourd.
- Remove wax or leave it on gourd for texture. Seal gourd with acrylic spray sealer.
- Drill holes in gourd about 1.5" inches from rim in .5" increments [depending on circumference of your gourd].
- With a whip stitch thread shell coins on waxed thread and stitch around the whole rim. This project has three coins per stitch with one color being dominant while the contrasting color was placed randomly around rim.
Read NextRecycled Denim Wine Bottle Sleeve
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Mar 27, 2018
This is the one that was put with the gourd birdhouse too. Now I see the bowl. This is so neat that I would love to make a few to use or decorate with. Looks so easy to do and I love the coins on the rim. I can see using some other metal embellishment or even ribbon or strings of yarn instead or even sea shells.Such a unique idea. Wish the video worked.
Jul 28, 2012
This is great. I grow gourds every year. I've been trying to fine all this information on how to make a beautiful gourd. Thank You So Much, hollenbackkathy56
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million crafters!
- Get free craft projects, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use