We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
If you're on the hunt for a vintage Christmas stocking knitting pattern, this Scandinavian pattern is for you! This intermediate knitting pattern is gorgeous, featuring pretty snowflakes on a red background. When you look at it, this stocking reminds one of the coziest sweaters to wear in winter. I might even call this a hygge pattern. If you love colorwork in your knitting patterns, this is a great project to practice! It's a beautiful knitting pattern for you to work up, and it's sure to turn into an heirloom.
NotesPATTERN NOTES: This pattern is worked in Fair Isle-style stranded knitting. For the rows were two colors are used, strand the color not in use loosely along the wrong side of the work.
Knitting Needle Size8 or 5 mm, Circular Knitting Needles, Double-Pointed Knitting Needles (DPNs)
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Gauge21 sts x 22 rows = 4” in Stockinette Stitch over Chart pattern. Save time, check your gauge.
Finished SizeCircumference: 16”, Length: 21”
- Deborah Norville™ Collection Everyday® Soft Worsted by Premier® Yarns (100% Anti-pilling acrylic; 113gm/203 yds): #ED100-07 Really Red (A) - 2 balls; #ED100-01 Snow White (B) - 1 ball
- Needles: US Size 8 (5 mm) circular needle 16” long and set of 4 double pointed needles or size needed to obtain gauge
- Notions: Stitch markers, tapestry needle
With A, cast on 80 sts. Place marker for beginning of rnd and join to work in the round, being careful not to twist.
Rnd 1: * K2 with A, p2 with B; rep from * to end.
Rnds 2-12: Rep Rnd 1.
Rnds 13 and 14: With A, knit.
Turn work, and turn the cuff inside out. The remainder of the stocking is worked with the WS of the cuff facing, so the RS will show when the cuff is folded down.
Rnds 1, 2 and 3: With A, knit.
Rnds 4-27: Work Chart A 6 times.
Rnds 28-31: Work Chart B once.
Rnds 32-47: Work Chart C once.
Rnds 48-51: Work Chart B once.
Rnds 52-66: Work Chart A 3 times, then work Rnds 1-3 of Chart A once more.
Row 1: K35, w&t.
Row 2 (WS): P31, w&t.
Row 3: Knit to 1 st before wrapped st, w&t.
Row 4: Purl to 1 st before wrapped st, w&t.
Rows 5-22: Rep Rows 3 and 4, 9 more times – 10 sts remain unwrapped in center of heel.
Row 23: Knit to wrapped st, knit wrap together with st, w&t.
Row 24: Purl to wrapped st, purl wrap together with st, w&t.
Row 25: Knit to double wrapped st, knit both wraps together with st, w&t.
Row 26: Purl to double wrapped st, purl both wraps together with st, w&t.
Rows 27-42: Rep Rows 25 and 26, 8 more times.
Row 43: Knit to double wrapped st, knit both wraps together with st, continue knitting to end of rnd.
Rnds 1-8: Work Chart A twice, knitting both wraps together with st when you encounter the remaining double wrapped st in Rnd 1.
Rnds 9-12: Work Chart B once.
Rnds 13-28: Work Chart C once.
Rnds 29-32: Work Chart B once.
Rnds 33-40: Work Chart A twice.
Cut color B; continue with color A only.
Rnd 1: * K10, place marker; rep from * to end. 8 markers, including beginning of rnd marker.
Rnd 2: * Knit to 2 sts before marker, k2tog; rep from * to end – 8 sts decreased.
Rnd 3: Knit.
Rnds 4-19: Rep Rnds 2 and 3, 8 more times, changing to double pointed needles when necessary – 8 sts.
Break yarn. Use tapestry needle to draw tail through remaining sts, pull tight and fasten off.
Using double pointed needles and A, cast on 4 sts.
Work knitted cord as follows: * Slide sts to other end of needle, drawing yarn behind sts, knit 4, do not turn work; rep from * until cord is 4” long. Bind off.
Fold cuff down.
Sew both ends of hanging loop to upper edge of cuff, centered at back of heel.
Weave in ends. Block lightly.
- knit 2 stitches together
- right side
- wrap and turn: with yarn to WS, slip next st to right hand needle, move yarn to RS, slip st back to left hand needle, turn work to begin next row.
- wrong side
What do you knit or crochet around the holiday season?
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Scandinavian Knit Stocking Pattern
- Classic Crochet Christmas Stocking Pattern
- Cross Stitch Crochet Christmas Stockings
- George Bailey's Christmas Stocking
- Striped Christmas Stockings
- Repurposed Bedspread Stocking
- Striped Christmas Stocking Pattern [Knit and Crochet Versions]
- Easy Stitch Felt Stocking
- Rainbow Quilted Stockings
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Easy Christmas Caps Decoration - Fun Family Craft
- Free Christmas Coloring Pages For Kids And Adults
- Fabulous Faux Stained Glass Christmas Ornament
- Crochet Snowflake Free Pattern
- Fabric Postcards (and Fabric Postcard Ornaments)
- Reindeer Ornament
- Wreath Christmas Tree Ornament
- Stacked Yarn Ball Ornament
- Paragon Square Ornament
- Dangling Snowman Ornament
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home