Recycled Glass Jar Christmas Lantern
Make a Recycled Glass Jar Christmas Lantern and place it on your mantel this holiday season. Glass jar crafts are a great way to reduce, reuse and recycle all year long, but during the holidays, they are especially useful. Instead of throwing away your glass jars, use them to create pretty, shimmering lights that everyone will enjoy. If you like making Christmas Mason jar crafts and want to try something a little different, this is a great excuse to go green and decorate your space.
It's hard to imagine a more exciting way to celebrate the holidays than with a wonderful recycle craft like this one. Christmas crafts come in all shapes and sizes, but there's something extra special about being mindful of the environment during the holidays. Once you make this Christmas craft idea, you may find that you want to make even more recycled Christmas crafts. Don't be afraid to go wild and make this lovely glass craft for friends and family. Anyone would appreciate such a thoughtful DIY gift.
Primary TechniqueGreen Crafting
If you loved this exciting Christmas craft idea, be sure to check out 29 Traditional Vintage Christmas Crafts.
- Empty Nescafé Classic glass jar
- Tescoma snowman cookie cutter
- Left-over piece of paper
- White acrylic paint
- Two 15mm red pom-poms
- Twenty 8mm clear flat-sided flower rhinestones
- Piece of red satin ribbon
- Paper raffia in the following two colors: light green and white
- Small wooden snowman ornament
- Battery operated T-light candle
- Heritage spray-on contact glue
- Quick-drying matt spray varnish
- Small scissors
- Brown packaging tape
- Quick-drying craft glue (such as Bostik Clear)
Make a snowman sticker:
- Glue a strip of packaging tape across the piece of paper. Place the cookie cutter onto the strip of tape and use the pen to trace the outline of the cookie cutter onto the packaging tape.
- Cut the traced snowman out.
- Spray contact glue onto the tape side of the snowman and allow the glue to dry. Then, position the snowman sticker on the glass jar and press down firmly.
Make the lantern:
- Use the paintbrush to dab a thin, uneven layer of white paint all over the jar. Apply paint all the way up to the top lip of the bottle, but do not paint the base of the jar. Allow to dry thoroughly.
- Gently remove the snowman sticker and clean up glue reside that might have remained.
- Glue the pom-poms to the snowman’s belly.
- Glue a row of evenly spread rhinestone flowers all around the jar’s shoulder.
- Spay the jar with the spray varnish and allow to dry thoroughly.
- Use a piece each from the red ribbon and two colors of paper raffia to add glue the snowman ornament to the knot of the bows.
If you can't get enough recycled crafts for Christmas, check out 19 Recycled Christmas Decorations and Gift Ideas.
Read NextDIY Christmas Carol Wood Slice