Needle Felting from Basics to Bears Review
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Needle Felting from Basics to Bears Review
Reviewed by Dana Byerwalter, Editor, FaveCrafts.com
Look at how precious the bears and bunnies are on the cover of Needle Felting from Basics to Bears. This awesome book from Liza Adams teaches novices and advanced needle felters alike how to make beautiful projects with fiber. Learn the basic techniques and apply them to the adorable projects in this book. Ranging from very basic shapes to advanced little animals with tiny details, these needle felting projects are awesome for those looking to try a new skill or revisit a beloved pastime.
If you've never tried needle felting before, it's almost like sculpting for fiber enthusiasts. Rather than shaping clay or papier mache, you'll punch a needle into wool fibers to tangle them into a particular shape. Did I mention needle felting is also cathartic? If you want to de-stress and make something adorable in the process, I recommend needle felting.
Needle Felting from Basics to Bears opens with an introduction about needle felting and all the tools required. Once you have these basics in mind, you can begin making a project. Following the introduction are sections on Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced projects. I love the Cupcake Pincushion (p. 16). This sweet project looks more challenging than it actually is to make, and I love the way the colorful glass head pins look like sprinkles when tucked into the felted cupcakes.
In the intermediate and advanced sections, needle felters graduate to bears. First learn the Basic Bear (p. 52), then graduate to the Advanced Bear (p. 70). You'll learn how to make the head, which you've had practice with by now from the Animal Head Keychain or Phone Charm (p. 30). Then you will learn how to make the body and joints. Afterwards, you'll sew them all together! This stitching technique was mesmerizing to me. It's wonderful to discover how to sew in eyes and the arms without the thread showing!
Bears are Liza Adams' specialty. She says in her bio, "The wonderful thing with needle-felted bears, as opposed to sewn ones, is that there are no patterns. No one else is using the same pattern as you and turning out the same bear over and over again. Needle-felted works are truly one of a kind, whether you are making bears, dogs, cats or monsters. Embrace that and go wild!"
Take on a new skill or revisit a long lost love of needle felting. This book equips you with the instructions you need to get started!
What is your favorite animal?
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
This great kitchen canister set is just like Martha's! Keep all your food organized with this easy kitchen craft. These Martha… Continue reading: "Martha Stewart Knockoff Canisters"
- Card Making with Cricut
- Altered Surfaces
- Crafting with Kids
- Enter for your chance to win the Hidden Jewels Coloring Books Bundle!
- Journal Bliss
- 75 Exquisite Trims in Thread Crochet
- Win a copy of the Creative Faces Adult Coloring Book!
- Scrapbook PageMaps 2
- Win a copy of Needle Felting from Basics to Bears!
- Enter to Win the Adorable Baby Birthday Bundle!
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Easy Pleated Blouse Free Sewing Pattern
- Grab The Gorgeous Free Father's Day Gift Tags
- Hufflepuff Scarf
- Prayer Pocket Pocket And Pillow
- 3/4 Sleeve Summer Blouse
- You Deserve The Credit
- Mandala Flowers Scrubby/ Potholder
- Paper Mache Photo Frame
- Aranea Afghan
- Movie Night Gift Basket
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home