Metallic Autumn Leaves Wreath
The autumn leaves in this wreath, painted in antique gold, moss green and barn red metallic, will keep their vibrant colors. Decorate your home for autumn gatherings with this beautiful homemade wreath.
Size: 12" Wreath
- STYROFOAM brand foam 12" beveled craft foam wreath*
- Brown bags (thinner paper is preferable)
- Acrylic metallic paints: gold, antique gold, copper, moss green, barn red
- Glitter gold acrylic paint
- Small natural sponge
- Paint palette or old china plate
- 12" of 5/8" gold ribbon
- Scrap of gold curling ribbon
- Low-temp hot-melt glue
Allow paint to dry between steps.
- Preparation. Cut away bottom of each paper bag and any printed areas.
- Paint paper. Place small amount of paints on palette. To color brown paper, dip a damp natural sponge into metallic paint Note: Sponge paint on in a thin layer; thick paint will make the paper stiff. To add variety to leaf color, combine some different gold paints on palette before sponging onto paper. For an aged look, add a bit of moss green to several of gold paints. Create another color by adding barn red to some of the gold. Add gold glitter paint over top of colors as you like. Make a variety of pleasing colors that look good together. Let dry.
- Cut leaves. Cut painted papers into 2 1/2" to 3" wide strips. Fold down center of each strip lengthwise with painted side to inside. Fold leaf pattern over folded painted paper and cut out leaf around pattern. Open leaf out flat, painted side up. About 200 leaves are needed, so cut out 24-36 of each color.
- Assemble. Use low-temp hot-melt glue to apply glue to bottom half of each leaf. Press first row of leaves around inside edge of wreath, overlapping leaves and alternating colors as you go. To glue second, third, and fourth rows, tuck bottom of leaf underneath tips of preceding row. Glue leaves into any spaces that seem empty or in areas where colors seem unbalanced.
- Finish. Make a small bow from gold ribbon. Add a few curls made from curling ribbon to bow. For hanger, make a loop from a few inches of ribbon and glue to top back of wreath.
See this project and more in 16 Decorative Front Door Wreaths for Fall.
Read NextVintage Doily Pumpkins