Split Neck Sweater
By: Caron Yarn
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
This beginner-level sweater knitting pattern creates a simple shape with a touch of fun in the split collar. Try your hand at knitting for winter with this easy sweater knitting pattern.
Materials: S (M, L)
- Yarn: Caron Jewel Box™ (64% acrylic, 20% rayon, 16% polyester; 2.5oz/70.9g, 100yds/92m): 10 (11,12) skeins in #0015 Amethyst- NOTE: This yarn has been discontinued. You can use another medium-weight (4) Caron yarn.
- 5.5mm (US size 9) knitting needles, or size to obtain gauge
- stitch markers
- stitch holders
FINISHED MEASUREMENTS: 36 (40, 44)"
Using 5.5mm ndls, in St st: 14 sts and 22 rows = 4”/10cm
Stockinette stitch (St st): Knit side = RS
CO 66 (72, 78) sts; beg St st. Work even until piece measures 13 (13.5, 14)” from beg, end WS row.
Shape Armholes: (RS) BO 4 (5, 6) sts beg of next 2 rows, then dec 1 st ea side every row twice, every other row once – 52 (56, 60) sts rem. Work even until armhole measures 9" from beg of shaping, end with a WS row.
Shape Shoulders and Neck (RS): BO 6 (7, 6) sts beg of next 2 rows, then 5 (5, 6) sts at beg of next 4 rows for shoulders – 20 (22, 24) sts rem; place rem sts on holder for neck.
Work as for Back until armhole measures 5" from beg of shaping, end with a WS row – 52 (56, 60) sts rem; pm ea side of center 8 (10, 12) sts.
Shape Neck: (RS) Work across to marker; place center sts on holder for neck; join a second ball of yarn and work to end. Working both sides at same time, at ea neck edge, dec 1 st every row twice, then every other row 4 times – 16 (17, 18) sts rem ea shoulder. Work even until armhole measures same as Back to shoulder shaping, end with a WS row. Shape shoulders as for Back.
CO 42 (44, 46) sts; beg St st. Work even until piece measures 11" from beg, end with WS row.
Shape Sleeves: Inc 1 st ea side this row, then every 8 rows 4 times, working inc sts in St st as they become est – 52 (54, 56) sts. Work even until sleeve measures 18 (18, 18.5)" from beg, end with a WS row.
Shape Cap: BO 4 (5, 6) sts beg of next 2 rows, then dec 1 st ea side EOR 10 times – 24 sts rem. BO 5 sts beg next 2 rows, then 7 sts beg next 2 rows.
Block pieces to measurements. Join Left shoulder seam.
Collar: With RS facing, using circular ndl, beg right Back shoulder, pick up and knit 60 (64, 68) sts around neck edge, including sts on holders; do not join. (RS of Collar) Working back and forth in St st [beg knit 1 row], work even until piece measures 6” from pick up row, end with a RS row. BO all sts loosely knitwise on next WS row. Join Right shoulder seam, leaving Collar seam open (see photo).
Set in sleeves; sew sleeve and side seams. Weave in ends.
Hand washing and drying: Turn inside out and wash gently in warm water using a mild detergent. Gently rinse well in cold water. Lay flat on a towel and roll in towel to remove excess water. DO NOT WRING, STRETCH OR HANG TO DRY.
When using Jewel Box, be sure to tie a knot at the beginning of each skein and at both yarn ends when joining. A small amount of shedding can be expected when using this yarn under normal conditions.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Tonic Studios
- Simple Drop Stitch Scarf
- Fun and Simple Chunky Knit Scarf
- Elegant 2017 Lucky Bracelet Tutorial
- Printable Coloring Calendar 2017: January
- Funky Tie Dye Socks
- Make Your own Miniature Barn Doors to Hide Wall Plugs
- Rotten Banana: a DIY Early Reading Game
- Stunning Toothbrush Bracelet