We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
This Cupcake Afghan is great for beginners. Use a simple stitch to create a delightful afghan that everyone will love. This free crochet afghan patterns features light, pastel colors, making it ideal for a baby shower or new mommy gift. When you learn how to crochet an afghan that you can make over and over again and you'll always have a go-to gift for special occasions. This afghan is both soothing and warm, so it will help a baby quickly drift off to sleep. While little babies will love their blanket, new mommies may appreciate it even more.
This free crochet afghan pattern for babies looks especially lovely and comforting in pastel colors. Use the light greens and pretty pinks found in cupcake icing and delicate cakes to create a tranquil sleeping and snuggle situation for a baby in your life. The scalloped design and pretty little crochet stitches show you how to crochet a blanket that has a classic look.
Find More Crochet Blanket Patterns in This Collection
It's never been easier to create beautiful and artistic afghans. Check out our collection of 50+ Free Crochet Blanket Patterns and discover just how many great patterns there are for beginning crocheters.
How to Crochet the Cupcake Afghan Pattern
Afghan Measures: 40” x 46”
- RED HEART SUPER SAVER 2 skeins 0668 Honeydew
- RED HEART CLASSIC 3 skeins 0111 Eggshell
- Crochet Hooks: 4.50mm (US G-6), 5.0mm (US H-8) or size needed for gauge
With H hook: 4 rows – 3”
5 dc, ch 1, 5 dc – 2 ¾”
- Row 1 (RS): With honeydew and H hook ch 147, 5 dc in 6th ch from hook, *ch 1, skip 5 ch, 5 dc in next ch, repeat from * across to last 3 ch, skip 2 ch, dc in last ch, turn.
- Row 2: Ch 4 (counts as dc, ch 1), dc in first st, skip 2 dc, dc in next dc, *(dc, ch 3, dc) in next ch 1 sp, skip 2 dc, dc in next dc, repeat from * across to last 3 sts, skip 2 dc, (dc, ch 1, dc) in top of turning ch, turn.
- Row 3: Ch 3 (counts as dc), 2 dc in next ch 1 sp, ch 1, (5 dc, ch 1) in each ch 3 loop across, 2 dc in ch 1 sp, dc in top of turning ch, turn.
- Row 4: Ch 3 (counts as dc), *(dc, ch 3, dc) in next ch 1 sp, skip 2 dc, dc in next dc, repeat from * across ending dc in top of turning ch, turn.
- Row 5: Ch 3 (counts as dc), (5 dc, ch 1) in each ch 3 loop across, 5 dc in last ch 3 loop, dc in top of turning ch,
- Row 6: Repeat Row 2, fasten off and turn.
- Row 7: Join eggshell in first st and repeat Row 3.
- Repeat Rows 2 -5 as follows: 6 rows honeydew, 4 rows eggshell (6 times), ending 6 rows honeydew for a total of 66 rows
- With eggshell and G hook work along top edge on right side 5 dc in first dc, *ch 1, skip 1 dc, sc in next dc, ch 1, 5 dc in ch 3, space, repeat from * across ending 5 dc in last dc.
- Work along side edge *ch 1, sc in first side dc, ch 1, 5 dc in next dc, repeat from * across ending 5 dc in first bottom ch st.
- Work along bottom edge *ch 1, sc in ch below 5 dc, ch 1, 5 dc in ch 5 space, repeat from * across ending 5 dc in last ch st.
- Work along side edge *ch 1, sc in first side dc, ch 1, 5 dc in next dc, repeat from * across, join to beg sc and fasten off.
To make this free crochet pattern, we recommend the following materials. They are all available at a great discount at CutRateCrafts.com!
- Red Heart Super Saver Yarn - Honeydew
- Red Heart Classic Yarn - Eggshell
- Crochet Lite Crochet Hook size G - Pink
- Crochet Lite Crochet Hook size H - Lavender
How Did the Afghan Blanket Get Its Name?
One of the most popular crochet patterns is the Afghan. They're cozy and vibrantly colored creations. But have you ever taken a moment to wonder why crocheted blankets are called Afghans?
The term "Afghan" was originally used to refer to the people of eastern and southern Afghanistan. That country is well-known for its colorful textiles such as clothing and carpets. Eventually in America, "Afghan" became synonymous with garments and other fabrics made from different colors of yarn. Afghan blankets are typically smaller in size — they wouldn't cover a bed, for instance — than other blankets. You can most often find them used as decorations on the backs of couches or chairs. "Granny square" is another term that is used to describe Afghans. This probably is due to the fact that crocheters (often grandmothers) would use scraps of different colored yarn to make squares. These squares would then be sewn into blankets that in some ways looked similar to the traditional fabrics of Afghanistan.
If you're out of cash but in the mood to crochet, you're in luck. When you download a copy of 25 Quick and Thrifty Free Crochet Patterns, you'll gain access to a ton of fun and interesting projects. From hats to flowers, there are a ton of crochet patterns to keep you active and busy. These patterns are positively delicious and you'll want to work on them all right away.
We love this crochet stitch! What other crochet stitches do you love?
Images from other crafters
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 51 Free Crochet Blanket Patterns for Beginners
- 41 Easy Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns, Free Tutorials and More
- Cupcake Afghan
- Foolproof Afghan Pattern
- Baby's First Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Easy One Ball Crochet Baby Blanket and Hat Set
- Two Color Easy Afghan Crochet Pattern
- Natural Baby Blanket
- Elsa's Frozen Inspired Afghan
- The Coziest Crocheted Baby Blanket Ever
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 11 DIY Christmas Decorations and Gift Ideas
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 24 Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes and Fall Craft Projects
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Jolly Holidays: 15 Free Knit and Crochet Gifts and Holiday Projects
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Abstract Coloring Pages for Kids
- Spring Buggies Coloring Pages
- Elegant Rose Zentangle Coloring Page
- Zebra Zentangle Coloring Page
- Butterfly Zentangle Coloring Page
- Lion Zentangle Coloring Page
- Giraffe Zentangle Coloring Page
- Ladybug Zentangle Coloring Page
- Bald Eagle Zentangle Coloring Page
- Valentine Train Coloring Pages