Colorful Upcycled Sneakers
You'll love hitting the streets in Colorful Upcycled Sneakers from Candace Jedrowicz. Turn boring white shoes into extraordinary pieces of art. Creative upcycling ideas help you turn something old into something new and exciting.
- Aleene’s Platinum Bond Super Fabric Glue
- Aleene’s Fabric Fusion Peel and Stick Sheets
- Tulip Soft Fabric Paint – rose matte, cool blue matte, lime matte, fiesta orange neon, azalea matte, hot pink neon & yellow
- Tulip Fabric Markers – black, blue & purple
- Tulip Beads in a Bottle – opal
- Leather shoes
- Fabric scraps
- Paint brushes
- Clean your shoes before binning. Block in your base colors. To get the color of purple I wanted, I mixed rose and azalea.Dry brush accent colors over the base colors if desired. I used yellow over the center of orange, pink over purple, and so on. With a pencil eraser dipped in your paints, make a handful of polka dots. Allow to dry.
- Use a black fabric marker to outline the polka dots and anything else you want to outline.
- Add accent designs here and there if you like.
- You can use the fabric markers for shading if desired. Here I’m using blue over green.
- Immediately after marking the area to be shaded, rub quickly to blend.
- I love glitter, so I couldn’t resist adding some opal Beads in a Bottle on the polka dots. As a finishing touch, I tore strips of fabric and layered them over the tongue with the Aleene’s Fabric Fusion Peel and Stick Sheets. I used narrow pieces of the Peel and Stick so that the torn edges of the fabric will continue to fray over time.The tongues could also be painted, but I’ve been looking for an excuse to use this fabulous fabric!
For a comprehensive video tutorial, check out How to Make a Ruby Slippers Stamp.