How To Create A Thoughtful Gift For Under $5
Have you ever scrounged for a last minute gift only to feel guilty over your choice? Have you ever been invited to a party only to decline because you're between paychecks and don't have the funds for a gift? By keeping a few supplies on hand, you can create a lovely, thoughtful gift for under $5. The key is to pick flowers and paint colors that match the décor and/or taste of the gift recipient.
And the best part is that it will look like you've spent at least $25 at the local floral shop! Follow this project designed by Alyice Edrich of the Dabbling Mum.
- Paper Mache Flower Pot
- White Gesso Paint by Liquitex
- Acrylic paints: Titanium Buff, dark blue, light blue
- High Gloss Acrylic Spray Sealer
- Elmer's Glue (can also use Aileen's tacky glue)
- Silk flower plant
- Moss (or fake grass)
- Shredded paper
- 1 Paper doilies
- Mod Podge
- Wire cutters
- Wide paint brush
- Sea sponge
- Dry cloth
- Paint the flower pot with gesso paint. Let dry.
- Use Mod Podge to adhere center of doily to bottom of flower pot and fancy part to the sides. Let dry.
- Cut out center of a doily, then cut the fancy part of the doily in half.
- Use Mod Podge to glue halves of doilies on opposing sides of flower pot. Let dry.
- Mix dark blue paint with a little water to create a wash, then cover the flower pot with the blue wash—both inside and out. Let dry.
- Dry brush Titanium Buff over the blue, making sure to leave the undercoat of blue paint visible. Let dry.
- Dip a sea sponge into light blue paint, then tap onto the flower pot.
- While the paint is still wet, tap a dry cloth over the sponged area to remove some of the paint. (This will create a more subtle look, blending the colors instead of having them appear as two separate and distinct colors.) Let dry.
- Spray flower pot: inside, outside, and bottom with high gloss acrylic sealer. Let dry.
- Fill flower pot with shredded paper.
- Pour glue over shredded paper.
- Break up moss and place pieces on top of the glue, making sure you gently press the moss down into the glue so that it adheres.
- Snip flowers with wire cutters and insert individual stems into pot.
Congratulations! You've just created a lovely, last minute gift sure to impress even the pickiest of recipients.
Paper Mache Flower Pot (Item 2839-04) was provided, free of charge, by Consumer Crafts.