Scrunchy Tee Shirt Scarf Tutorial
This free sewing pattern from Jennifer Juniper for a scrunchy gathered scarf is a must-have accessory for you and your girlfriends. You get a lot of bang for your buck, it is a great accessory for yourself, and also a great gift to give. It's really a win/win project.
See this project and more tee shirt projects in "9 Ways to Transform Old T-Shirts".
- At least 2 yds. of thin jersey knit (I used T-shirt weight)--this will make four to six scarves, depending on the width of your fabric
- Elastic Thread (found in the elastic aisle)
- Sewing Machine
- And about 10 minutes of time
- Cut a 10 inch by (at least) 72 inch strip of fabric (your fabric will end up being half as long when you finish, so the longer the better). At this point, you can decide to taper your ends or to cut the ends apart, like fringe, at least 12 inches up from the bottom. I might even make longer tails if I did this again.
- Hand wind the elastic thread onto your bobbin (use ordinary thread on top), and sew with a basting stitch from the center of one tail/fringe alllll the way to the end. Then again from the center of the other tail allll the way to the other end. So, you have two long seams about 3 inches apart, down the center. (Make sure you back stitch at the beginning and the end, basting stitches will pull out easily if they aren't anchored like this.) See how it is bunching up as it passes through the machine? It's like magic! If you have machine with self-adjusting tension, you will have to fiddle or turn that option off or your fabric will not bunch up.
- Here is how it looks all sewn - just two straight seams from end to end. All the magic happens when you wind it around your neck!
- Now, prance around all giddy-like with your cute new scarf. Make sure to pose for pictures and make plans to give them to everyone with a neck.
Do you have more shirts you want to craft with? Well, check out all these other fun tee-shirt crafts you can make: Knotted Tee Shirt Scarf, Checkerboard Game Carpet, Tee Shirt Sleeve Scarf, and a fun Tee Shirt Quilt!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
More from "Sewn Accessories"
Follow these free sewing patterns to make your own accessories like bracelets, hair accessories and embellished shoes. These free sewing tutorials make fun gifts too!