Owl Sock Friends
Sew up a cute owl or a pair of owls with this fun sewing tutorial using socks. Give these little owl sock friends as gifts. They are sure to put a smile on anyone's face. Project excerpted from Socks Appeal: 16 fun & funky friends sewn from socks by Brenna Maloney published by C&T Publishing.
Finished size: about 5˝ tall.
- Okay. You’ll only need 1 sock to make the owl. Cut owl’s body out of the lower part of this sock, where the cuff is. Just snip right below the heel and give him a rounded head.
- From the remaining part of the sock, snip the very tip of the toe off and cut that in half. These will form his itty bitty microscopic wings that will make you want to cry for your momma while you try to sew the blasted things on. But, that misery comes later.
- With the strange piece that is leftover, start from the heel, and cut the sock open.
- Lay this piece out, and from it, cut the largest oval you can. This will be your owl’s butt.
- Turn Owl’s body inside out, with right sides together, and sew the front and back pieces of his rounded little head together. Also sew his wings together and turn them right side out.
- Go slowly on this next step. Keeping the owl body inside out, pin the oval piece that you cut in Step 4 (the owl’s butt) to the open end of his body. Pin the 2 pieces right sides together with raw edges lined up, and stitch around the circle, being careful to leave a small opening so you can turn him.
- Turn him and stuff his little fat body. Seal the opening with a slip stitch.
- Hand sew his itty bitty arms to the side of his body. Swearing is optional.
- The eyes are really going to make your owl, so look carefully for a good match. I chose bright orange buttons for this one. But be on the lookout for buttons or beads that have a ring in the center that can double as a pupil. For a nose, I used a small triangle of felt.
- And you are done. Are we still friends?
Read NextEasy Cosmetics Bag Pattern