DIY Scrunchies and More
Sew up your own scrunchies, earrings, barrettes or combs in colorful batik fabric with this technique from Sulky of America. A hem stitched in metallic thread is on the outside for a bit of sparkle throughout the accessory.
- 5" x 45" light to medium weight fabric strip for double wrap Scrunchy or
- 3" x 22" strip for single wrap Scrunchy- For different effects use wider or narrower strips.
- Two 2" x 45" strips for Barrette or Comb
- 7" of 3/8th" Elastic for double wrap Scrunchy
- 4" of 3/8th" Elastic for single wrap Scrunchy
- Use less fabric and elastic if you want a tighter Scrunchy.
- Serger and Sewing Machine - Size 14 ballpoint needle
- Sulky 30 wt. or 40 wt. Threads to match or contrast- Add Metallic to loopers for more glitz.
- Small Thread Scissors
- Rotary Cutter, Mat and Ruler for cutting Fabric Strips
- Bodkin or safety pin for threading elastic
- EZ Shapes for Earrings & Earring findings
- Hot Glue Gun & Glue Sticks
- Pearl Cotton to match Sulky Thread
- Narrow Rolled Hem or wide regular serging
- One, two or more Sulky Threads in Upper Looper
- Sulky Thread in Needle and Lower Looper
- Fold under the raw edge of one of the 5" ends of your fabric strip; with a straight stitch on your sewing machine, stitch it down, close to the edge.
- Fold strip lengthwise, wrong sides together with either a Rolled Hem (try serging over pearl cotton for a heavier look) or wide regular stitch; shave off just a bit with the knife to get an even edge.
- Attach a bodkin or safety pin onto one end of the elastic and feed it into the fabric tube. To secure the other end of the elastic, pin it to the inside of the fabric tube. Scrunch up the fabric as you pass the bodkin or safety pin through to the other end. Butt the two ends of elastic together and sew them together with a multiple zig-zag stitch on your sewing machine.
- Insert raw end of tube into finished end and straight stitch the ends together. Arrange fabric evenly around elastic and it's ready to wear. Optional: Loop or tie a cooordinating serged strip around your Scrunchy so it dangles, or use a Scrunchy as an added decoration on a plain headband.
Sulky Serger-Chain Earrings
- Make a chain of Sulky Rolled Hem over Pearl Cotton.
- Wrap the chain over the grooves in EZ Earring Shapes. Tie ends in a knot in back of earring and glue on earring back. Quick earrings to match your Sulky edged Scrunchies, Barrettes or Combs.
Sulky Barrette and/or Comb
- Seam together two 2" x 45" fabric strips to make one 2" x 90" strip. Fold under the raw edge of both short ends and stitch close to the edge with a straight stitch on the sewing machine.
- Fold strip lengthwise, wrong sides together with either a Rolled Hem (try serging over Pearl Cotton for a heavier look) or wide regular stitch; shave off just a bit with the knife to get an even edge. Serge the other (folded) side to add the decorative edge.
- Arrange fabric into loops on top of the Barratte and secure them to the Barrette by wrapping fine wire around each fold that touches the Barrette. To tie it all together, do a couple of wraps around the bottom of all the loops and glue the end down. Use the same technique to attach loops to a comb.