DIY Dog Cape
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
In the Designer's Words: "My princess Miss Eliza is constantly mistaken for a "He" when we are out walking. She needed something with a little pink and a little bling on it to show people she was a girl! This cape would work equally well for your youngsters, and is easy enough to make a batch for a birthday party. If the kids are old enough, this would be a fabulous craft to make at the party!"
Whether you need to make something to keep your pooch warm or you are just looking for something to dress them up, this adorable sewn pet craft is sure to do the trick. Sewn up in warm flannel and pretty pinks, the DIY Dog Cape is the perfect piece of doggywear for any occasion. This free sewing pattern will take just a few hours to make and is sure to give your pup hours of style. If you prefer something a little more manly, you could easily create this cutie in plaid or blue for a boy dog.
Project TypeMake a Project
Time to CompleteUnder an hour
Sewn byEither Hand or Machine
- Pink flannel
- Metallic Oly*Fun® in Rose Gold from Fairfield World
- Stick Double Sided Fusible Interfacing from Fairfield World
- Iron, damp pressing cloth
- Rotary cutter, mat, and ruler
- Newsprint for making pattern
- Ribbon, 1 yd
- Sewing Machine, matching thread
Make a pattern to fit your pooch (or kid, whatever) using newsprint. This took me a few tries. Note that I only wanted to get the neck placement correct.
Determine how long and how wide you want your cape to be and cut your material slightly larger. Fold in half lengthwise and place pattern on fold as shown.
Cut pattern piece and then continue cutting to end of fabric.
Cut Oly*Fun® and interfacing into 1/2" strips. Place on cape as desired and press following manufactures directions
Add a straight stitch around edge of cape if desired to prevent fraying.
Add ribbons to flaps under neck for ties. Depending on your ribbon you can machine stitch or you might have to hand sew if your ribbon is fragile.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
Everyone loves super easy crochet afghan patterns, and this Foolproof Afghan really fits the bill. This one skein pattern is warm,… Continue reading: "Foolproof Afghan Patternvideocam"
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Crochet Candle Holder
- Diy Princess Board Game
- Frozen Inspired Magic Wand
- Princess Merida From Brave Paper Doll Craft
- Alpaca Craft From Peru
- Princess Rapunzel Paper Doll Craft
- VOTE for the Best Stay Home and Craft Project!
- Easy, Colorful Pen/Craft Organizer
- Raised Garden Project
- Succulent Planters Made From Recycled Food Containers
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home