Classic Knit Pilot Hat
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Dress up your little co-pilot in this Classic Knit Pilot Hat from Vickie Howell. This easy knit hat pattern works up easily and is prefect for babies and toddlers. Customize it to be any colors you'd like! Add a sweet flower on the side if you're making one for a little girl!
- Stitch.Rock.Love. Sheep(ish) from Caron (70% Acrylic/30% Wool; 3oz/85g, 167yds/153m) (#00015 Red(ish) (MC) and #0010 Camel(ish) (CC), 1 skein each)
- One pair size US 9 (5.5 mm) needles or size needed to obtain gauge
- One pair size U.S. 8 (5mm) needles
- Yarn Needle
- One 3/4"/2cm button
Circumference: 15 (17)”/38 (43)cm (slightly stretched)
GAUGE: In St st with larger needles, 18 sts and 22 rows = 4"/10cm
- Garter stitch Knit every row.
- Stockinette stitch: Knit on WS, purl on WS.
NOTE: Carry colors not in use loosely along side of work.
- With smaller needles and MC, CO 56 (70) sts. Work in Garter st for 5 rows. Change to larger needles and St st. Change to CC.
- Beginning on RS, work in St st 4 rows CC, 4 rows MC, then 4 rows CC. Cont with MC only in St st until cap measures 4 (5)”/10 (12.5)cm from CO edge, ending with WS row.
- Row 1 RS): *K5, k2tog; rep from * to end—48 (60) sts.
- Row 2 and all WS rows: Purl.
- Row 3: *K4, k2 tog; rep from * to end—40 (50) sts.
- Row 5: *K3, k2 tog; rep from * to end—32 (40) sts.
- Row 7: *K2, k2 tog; rep from * to end—24 (30) sts.
- Row 9: *K1, k2 tog; rep from * to end—16 (20) sts.
- Row 11: *K2tog; rep from * to end—8 (10) sts.
- BO, leaving a 14”/35.5cm tail. Thread tail through yarn needle and weave through rem sts. Gather tightly and secure on WS.
- Sew back seam.
Lower Band and Chin Strap:
- With smaller needles and CC, CO 18 (26) sts, then holding the cap upside down with RS facing, count 12 (18) sts to the right of back seam and pick up 1 st in the 12th (18th) st and in each st to back seam, pick up 1 st in seam and in next 12 (18) sts. Note: If longer strap is desired add about 5 more sts to the CO sts at the beginning of the band.
- Work in Garter st for 2 rows.
- Buttonhole row: K to last 5 sts, k2tog, yo, k3.
- Work in Garter st for 2 more rows.
- Weave in all ends. Sew button on band opposite buttonhole.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Beginner's Favorite Knitted Hat
- Men's Winter Hat and Scarf
- 19 Free Hat Knitting Patterns
- Soft Cable Hat Knitting Pattern
- Vintage Tie Up Headband Knitting Pattern
- Pink Cabled Hat and Scarf
- Double Knit Hat with Earflaps
- Father and Son Knit Caps
- Bright Knit Hats and Mittens Holiday Decorations
- Quick and Easy Knit in the Round Hat
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Easy Painted Patriotic Decor
- Upcycled Box Party Tray
- All-American Upcycled Can
- DIY Captain America Notebook
- Upcycled Party Lanterns
- Jar Decorations for Summer
- Mason Jar Wedding Centerpieces
- Make Mosquito Repellent Candles
- Bug Jar That Glows in the Dark
- Custom Candles in a Jar Shape