Egg Cozy Chick Family
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Crochet a set of four chick egg cozies, a full family each complete with a different hat, to adorn your spring table. These cute crochet chicks from Red Heart would be perfect for an Easter brunch. These crochet egg cozies are functional and a fun way to decorate.
- Yarn: RED HEART® “Designer Sport™”: 1 ball each 3215 Lemon Zest A, 3261 Terra Cotta B, 3570 Iced Violet C, 3620 Celadon D, 3801 Aqua Ice E, 3730 Blush Rose F and 3369 Cocoa G.
- Crochet Hook: 3.5mm [US E-4].
- Split lock stitch marker
- yarn needle
- poly-fill stuffing
Size: Cozy stands about 3½” tall.
Gauge: 4 sts = 1”; 5 rnds = 1” in sc. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauge.
inc (increase) = 2 sc in next sc.
dec (decrease) = draw up a loop in next 2 sc, yarn over and draw through all 3 loops on hook.
Note: Work in continuous rounds without joining. Mark first st of the round; move marker up each round.
CHICK (Make 4)
Head-Rnd 1: With A, ch 2; 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook.
Rnd 2: [Inc] 6 times – 12 sc.
Rnd 3: Sc in each sc around.
Rnd 4: [Sc in next 3 sc, inc] 3 times – 15 sc.
Rnd 5: [Sc in next 4 sc, inc] 3 times – 18 sc.
Rnds 6 and 7: Sc in each sc around.
Rnd 8: [Sc in next sc, dec] 6 times – 12 sc.
Neck-Rnd 9: [Dec] 6 times – 6 sc.
Rnd 10: Working in front loops only on this rnd, inc in each st around – 12 sc.
Body-Rnds 11 and 12: Repeat Rnds 4 and 5 – 18 sc.
Rnd 13: [Sc in next 5 sc, inc] 3 times – 21 sc.
Rnds 14-16: Sc in each sc around.
Rnd 17: [Sc in next 6 sc, inc] 3 times – 24 sc.
Rnds 18 and 19: Sc in each sc around. Fasten off. Stuff head section only and sew the opening inside the neck closed.
Wing (Make 8)
Rnd 1: With A ch 2; 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook.
Rnd 2: [Sc in next 2 sc, inc] twice – 8 sc.
Rnds 3-5: Sc in each sc around. Fasten off. Do not stuff.
Hold flat and sew in place as pictured.
Foot (Make 8)
Row 1: With B ch 5; slip st in 2nd ch from hook, sc in next ch, hdc in next ch, dc in last ch; turn.
Row 2: Ch 2, dc in dc, hdc in hdc, sc in sc, slip st in slip st.
Fasten off. Sew in place as pictured.
Tail (Make 4)
With A [ch 9, slip st in 2nd ch from hook and in next 7 ch] 3 times; join to first slip st with a slip st. Fasten off. Sew in place at lower edge of back.
Beak (Make 4)
Rnd 1: With B ch 2; 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook.
Rnd 2: Sc in each sc around. Fasten off. Sew in place as pictured. Embroider French knot eyes above beak with G.
Baby Bonnet (Make 1)
Row 1: With C ch 10; sc in 2nd ch from hook and next 7 ch, 3 sc in last ch, working on opposite side of ch, sc in next 8 ch; turn – 19 sc.
Rows 2-6: Ch 1, sc in each sc across; turn.
Brim-Row 7: Working in back loops only, slip st in next sc, [3 sc in next sc, slip st in next sc] 9 times. Fasten off. Sew in place.
Father’s Hat (Make 1)
Rnd 1: With G ch 2; 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook.
Rnd 2: [Inc] 6 times – 12 sc.
Rnd 3: [Sc in next sc, inc] 6 times – 18 sc.
Rnd 4: Working in back loops only, sc in each sc around.
Rnd 5: Working in both loops, sc in each sc around.
Rnd 6: Working in front loops only, inc in each st around – 36 sc. Fasten off. Sew in place.
Mother’s Beret (Make 1)
Rnds 1-3: With D repeat Rnds 1-3 of Father’s Hat.
Rnd 4: [Sc in next 2 sc, inc] 6 times – 24 sc.
Rnd 5: [Sc in next 3 sc, inc] 6 times – 30 sc.
Rnd 6: Working in back loops for this rnd only, [sc in next sc, dec] 10 times – 20 sc.
Rnds 7 and 8: Sc in each sc around. Fasten off.
Flower (Make 1)
Rnd 1: With F ch 2; 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook.
Rnd 2: (Slip st, ch 1, hdc, ch 1) all in each sc around; join
with a slip st in first slip st. Fasten off. Sew to side of beret.
Sew flower in place. Sew beret in place.
Baseball Cap (Make 1)
Visor-Row 1: With E ch 2; 5 sc in 2nd ch from hook; turn.
Row 2: Ch 1, [inc] 5 times; turn – 10 sc.
Hat-Row 3: Ch 1, sc in each sc across, ch 14, slip st in first sc of Row 3; turn.
Rnd 4: Skip slip st, sc in each ch and in each sc around – 21 sc. Now work in continuous rnds without joining.
Rnd 5: Sc in each sc around.
Rnd 6: [Sc in next 5 sc, dec] 3 times – 18 sc.
Rnd 7: [Sc in next 4 sc, dec] 3 times – 15 sc.
Rnd 8: [Sc in next 3 sc, dec] 3 times – 12 sc.
Rnd 9: [Dec] 6 times – 6 sc. Fasten off leaving a long yarn tail. Weave yarn tail through remaining sts; draw up firmly.
Sew cap in place.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive, partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Mop or Sweeper Cover Crochet Pattern
- Crochet Doily in Pineapple Pattern
- Up and Down Crochet Dishcloth
- Easy Ombre Dishcloth
- Aunt Bee's Gingham Dishcloth
- 18 Free Crochet Dishcloth Patterns for Beginners
- Crochet Stash Baskets
- Granny Crochet Dishcloth
- Cotton Thread Coaster or Doily
- Jewels of the Desert Crocheted Dishcloth
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Upcycled Football Vase
- Tassel Earrings
- Valentine's day wall decorations
- Recycled Wine Glass Planters
- Chic Valentine Decor
- How to Sew an Eyeglass Case with a Pocket
- How to Store Craft Supplies + Craft Room Storage Ideas
- DIY Valentines Day Wreath
- How to Choose the Correct Sewing Thread
- 21 Crepe Paper and Tissue Paper Crafts
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home