Recycled Chenille Washcloths
These Recycled Chenille Washcloths will inspire many more sewing craft ideas, especially if you have a bunch of recycled fabric. This sewing tutorial will teach you how to use the fabric from old chenille bedspreads to make wonderful washcloths. DIY sewing crafts like this can be fun, especially when you only have to use a sewing machine and you don't have to buy new fabric for them. Recycling crafts are great for the environment and your wallet, too. Try a green craft with materials you own today!
- Wrapping paper or newspaper
- Measuring tape
- Chenille bedspread
- Straight pins
- 1-inch, single-fold bias tape (2 1/3 yards)
- Sewing machine
- Draw a 10-inch square on wrapping paper or a newspaper. Cut out the square. Fold the paper square in half, and then in half again. All four corners of the "original" square are stacked in one corner of the smaller folded square. Round the original corners. Unfold the square and you have a washcloth pattern with rounded corners.
- Find an area of your chenille bedspread that is not worn, torn or stained, and has the desired chenille pattern you would like on your washcloth. Pin the pattern to the bedspread and cut out. Repeat one more time for a total of two washcloths.
- Each washcloth will need approximately 41 inches of 1-inch-wide bias tape. There is no need to measure and cut before attaching. Fold over a 1/2 inch on the end of the tape to the wrong side and press.
- Place one washcloth on your work surface. If your chenille has a right side and a wrong side, place the washcloth with the wrong side facing up. Pin the bias tape on one edge, with the folded end positioned in the center of the edge and the wrong side of the bias tape facing up. Continue to pin the tape around the edge of the washcloth. Overlap the ends a 1/2 inch where they meet and cut the tape.
- Sew the pinned tape to the washcloth.
- Fold the tape to the front, iron and pin. Zigzag stitch the tape to the washcloth to secure.
- Repeat the steps for the remaining washcloth to complete your pair.
- Tie a ribbon around the pair for a pretty gift presentation.
Read NextRecycled Rug Poufs