4th of July Utensil Holder
A cross-stitch design from Dimensions celebrates USA in this fun, 4th of July craft project. Embellish an inexpensive or recycled container with this design and coordinating fabric for the perfect picnic or BBQ addition.
- circular container
- stamped cross stitch kit #72780 USA (Learn-a-Craft)
- small piece of cardboard for mounting the stitched design
- thick craft glue
- coordinating fabric (6-1/2" wide x twice the circumference of the container)
- 1/4" elastic (equal in length to the circumference of the container)
- sewing thread
- Fold the fabric in half lengthwise with the right sides together.
- Stitch a 1/4" seam along the length of the fabric.
- Turn the fabric right side out and press it fl at with the seam at the center back.
- To form a casing for the elastic, add a row of stitching 1-1/4" from each outer edge.
- Attach a safety pin to one end of the elastic.
- Feed the elastic through the casing in the fabric and secure it at both ends.
- Fold the fabric in half by bringing the short ends together (right sides facing) and stitch a 1/2" seam.
- Turn the fabric right side out and slip it over the container.
- On the stitched design, trim the fabric 1/2" away from the stitching on all four sides.
- Remove fabric threads one at a time to fringe 1/8" on all four sides.
- Trim the cardboard to match the stitched design (minus the fringed area), then glue it to the back of the design.
- Glue the mounted design to the fabric.