Embossed Snowflake Trinket Box
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
"Turn and inexpensive unfinished wood box with a recessed lid and some white polymer clay into a lovely little trinket or gift box! Never used polymer clay before? No worries...this project is easy peasy and you don't need a lot of special tools for it. If you can roll out pie dough you have this one in the bag...or in the box! The embossed design is made with paper crafting embossing folders and mica powders. Change up the theme by choosing one of so many embossing folder designs and color choices in polymer clay and mica powders. "
- Unfinished wooden box with recessed lid
- Sculpey Soufflé (Polymer Clay)–#6001 Igloo (1.7oz. block) or color of choice
- Darice Embossing Essentials Embossing Folder- Snowflake Swirl or pattern of choice
- Jacquard Pearl Ex Powered Pigments: #644 Reflex Violet, #636 Emerald, #647 Sky Blue or colors of choice
- DecoArt Multi-Purpose Sealer
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic: Warm White
- DecoArt Sealer Finisher Spray Satin Finish
- Non porous surface for cutting such a ceramic tile or marble slab
- Clay conditioning machine (optional)
- Scupley Acrylic Roller AS8AR or rolling pin
- Scupley Super Slicer ASBSET or craft knife
- Flat paint brush
- Liner brush
- Spray bottle
- Baby Wipes
- 2 wooden skewers
Seal all areas of wooden box with Multi-Purpose Sealer. When dry, sand lightly to smooth. Base all areas of box with Warm White unto opaque. When dry all areas with sealer/finisher.
Cut a piece of clay and knead with hands until pliable.
Run clay through conditioning machine on the thickest setting or roll with the rolling pin until you have a nice smooth sheet of clay. If using a rolling pin lay skewers out on your work surface with clay between them, roll over the skewers and clay simultaneously to keep the sheet a uniform thickness.
Fill spray bottle with clean water and lightly spray inside of embossing folder. The water will help the clay to release from the folder. Lay clay inside folder and close. Roll over the folder with the clay roller using film pressure. Turn folder over and repeat. Gently open folder and check the impression. Gently coax clay off embossing sheet. Lay the clay sheet back on the tile with the negative design impression side facing up.
Lay box lid upside down over embossed clay sheet. Press to indent edges slightly. Carefully remove box top. Use Super Slicer or craft knife to cut along inside edges of impression.
Open the Pearl Ex powders and put a little powder into each lid. Load your fingertip with Sky Blue. Rub your fingertip lightly in a circular motion a few times on the tile. Tap your fingertip up and down a few times onto the tile to knock off loose particles. Using light pressure rub your fingertip over the center of the raw clay. Continue rubbing gently in a circular motion to smooth the color and fadeout the edges. Do not press hard enough to stretch or indent the clay. Practicing this technique on scrap clay is advisable if you are a novice with mice powders and clay. Use a baby wipe to clean your finger.
Repeat step 5 with Emerald. Blend color over the edge of the blue areas until a gradation of color occurs. Repeat again with Reflex Violet.
If Pearl ex powders settle into the embossed areas of the clay gently blow on the powder to remove it. If color remains in the embossed areas bake it then use the liner and Warm White to touch up.
Bake clay on tile according to manufacturer’s directions.
When clay has cooled insert it into the box top. If the clay does not fit well, sand edges of clay sheet until it fits. Glue clay sheet into box top.
NotesImportant Note: Once a kitchen tool has been used for polymer clay it is no longer safe to use for food.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
"A gathered waist dress pattern is the perfect clothing item for summer! Fun and easy to sew, this women's summer dress pattern and… Continue reading: "Gathered Waist Summer Dress Pattern"
- 41 Clay Crafts for Adults
- The Craft Fairy
- Embossed Snowflake Trinket Box
- "24 Polymer Clay Tutorials: Polymer Clay Jewelry, Decor and More" free eBook
- DIY Dala Horse Gift Tag Ornaments
- Opaque Flower Clay
- How to Use Polymer Clay: A Guide for Beginners
- Ladybug Clay Pot Friend
- How to Use Polymer Clay: 21 Polymer Clay Tutorials
- Blooming Vintage Rose Clay Keychain
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Diy Ironing Board Cover
- Diy Fabric Basket
- Glistening Snowflake Made From Recycled Cd
- Thrifty And Easy New Year's Eve Poppers
- Homemade Holiday Gift Envelopes
- Festive Wine Cork Christmas Trees
- Juneau Blues Beanie
- Christmas Wreath Ornament
- Santa Cork Gnome
- Woodland Wolf Hat
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home