We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Using fleece, felt and fabric Debra Quartermain shows us how to make these adorable sledding penguins. It's a great Christmas craft for anyone to have.
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:
- Balls, 1-1/2", four
- Eggs, one each: 5"; 2-1/2"
- Fleece fabrics: 8" x 8" black; 12" x 12" white
- Fabric scraps: check, 3" x 22"; yellow dot; green dot; blue flannel, 8-1/2" x 10"
- Felt, 9" x 12" each: black; orange
- Snow-texture paint
- Wooden sled, 8" long
- Fiberfill stuffing, small amount
- Buttons, 6mm, one each: green; orange; yellow
- Black beads, two each: 6mm; 5mm
- Yellow pom pom, 1"
- Cosmetic blush
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Fine-line black permanent marker
- Disposable sponge brush
- Disposable palette
- Water basin
- Paper towels
- Embroidery needle and floss: blue; black; orange
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Fabric glue
- Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut thin slice from bottom of large foam egg. Cut small foam egg in lengthwise thirds; discard center third.
- Paint foam balls with snow paint; let dry.
- Cut pattern pieces as follows: body patterns from fleece; remaining patterns from felt.
- Glue white adult fleece body to front of large foam eggs, applying glue along fleece edges only and stretching edges to back. Glue black body to back of egg, curving black edges over white.
- Fringe ends of checked fabric 1-1/2"; tie scarf around top third of body.
- Glue adult beak and feet pieces together in pairs, applying very thin line of glue around outside edge and leaving small opening for stuffing; let dry. Stuff feet and glue openings closed; glue to bottom front of body as shown.
- Use scissors point to poke eye holes in head; glue 6mm beads into holes. Lightly stuff beak and glue open edges to head below eyes. Apply blush to cheeks.
- Fold blue flannel fabric wrong sides together; glue seam and let dry. Gather one end and tie closed with blue floss. Turn hat right side out. Fold brim up 3/4" twice and glue hat on head. Glue pom pom to top of hat; glue buttons to front of brim.
- Glue two foam balls to top of sled and two under runners to create lift. Apply additional snow paint to sled as desired; let dry. Glue adult penguin to sled as shown.
- Center smaller foam egg pieces on white fleece body ovals, pulling fleece to cut side and gluing edges to secure.
- Using two strands black floss, insert needle through flat side of one baby and come out at front near eye area. Take 1/4" slanted stitch and return needle to back of head; repeat for second eye. For second baby, make eyes in same way as larger penguin. Blush babies' cheeks. Glue beak pieces together in pairs and glue to faces.
- Glue babies' wings to sides of bodies at "X" indicated on pattern; wings should angle upward. Glue adult wings to top of body at "X" indicated on pattern. Wrap wings around babies and glue to secure.
- For each baby's hat, cut 4-1/2" x 8" dotted fabric piece. Fold one long edge up 1/2" twice; glue to secure. Overlap and glue seam. Tie end shut with embroidery floss. Glue hats on heads.
- Glue baby penguins to adult, one over each foot. Glue one baby's wings over bead eyes. Spot glue scarf end to adult penguin's hat to create windswept look.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Crochet Snowman Family
Christmas Tree Mason Jar Craft
Teardrop Christmas Ornaments
Unique Tampon Angel Christmas Ornament
Quick Spiral Quilt Christmas Tree Skirt
Cute Cork Gingerbread House
123 Easy Christmas House Crafts
Christmas Goodie Pop Top Cans
Snowman Bead Earrings
11 Angel Crafts to Make: Homemade Christmas Ornaments & Decorations free eBook
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Aligned Cobble Stitch Pillow Crochet Pattern
- Aligned Cobble Fingerless Gloves Crochet Pattern
- Iceland Poppy
- Retro Messy Bun Hat Crochet Pattern
- Lilac Roped Bag Crochet Pattern
- Striped Sunglasses Pouch
- Beginner Sewing
- Cake in a Can Surprise
- Flat Felled Seam Tutorial
- Easy Breezy Buttoned Cowl Crochet Pattern
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home