Bohemian Christmas Stocking
Create a bohemian-chic Christmas stocking from I Love to Create with vintage doilies and other fabrics, dyed in a bright uniform color for a modern twist. Crochet trims and buttons add wonderful texture to your bohemian Christmas stocking.
- Aleene's® Fabric Fusion™ Permanent Dry Cleanable Fabric Adhesive™
- Tulip® Custom Dye Color Kit™
- Aleene's® Fast Grab Tacky Glue®
- Buttons – various colors and sizes
- Stirring spoon
- Lace trim
- Trash bags
- Paper towels
- 100% cotton fabric – white – 1/3 yard
- Thread – white – 100% cotton
- Vintage doilies and crochet trims – various colors – 100% cotton
- Gloves – cotton (optional)
- Rubber gloves
- Sewing machine
- Straight pins
- Prewash and dry fabric, doilies and trim before beginning project to remove sizing. Do not use fabric softener or dryer sheets.
- Cut out stocking front, back and hang tab
- Determine placement of doilies and trim on front of stocking, and cut away excess.
- Pick up doilies one at a time, lay on paper towels face down and spray Aleene’s® Fast Grab™ Tacky Spray® over the doilies and press back in place on stocking.
- Sew a zigzag seam around edges of stocking to hold doilies and trim in place.
- Place stocking front and back right sides together and sew a ¼” straight stitch around sides and bottom. Turn right side out.
- Sew the hang tab according to pattern and sew into the top right side of stocking.
- Following Dye Instructions, dye the stocking, gloves and other items. Note: Use colored doilies and trims on stocking to create interesting new hues when dyeing these items.
- Glue buttons and additional trims to stocking as desired with Aleene’s® Fabric Fusion™. Let dry.
- Cut a strip of lace trim and sew a running stitch along one edge. Pull one side of the thread to gather. Tie threads together to create rosette. Glue rosette to stocking with Aleene’s® Fabric Fusion™. Let dry.
- Set up work surface by protecting with plastic trash bags.
- Wearing rubber gloves, in bucket mix 1 gallon of hot water, dye and 3 tablespoons of salt. Follow recipe guide included in kit to create desired dye color and mix in bucket. Make enough dye to color your stocking, gloves and a few extra doilies and trims.
- Immerse stocking and other items into dye mixture. Stir continuously for the first 15 minutes, then occasionally every 5 to 10 minutes for the next 45 minutes. Total dye time will be one hour.
- Wash fabrics in warm water with a small amount of laundry soap. Dry in dryer or line dry if required.
More Stocking Crafts: