Flying Girl Paper Art
Whimsical 11 x 14 folk art piece made from recycled paper, beads and floss from Arnold Grummer's Paper Making Kits and Supplies. Think of it as paper applique!
- Arnold Grummer's Paper Additive
- Arnold Grummer's Fun With The Papermill Vol l
- Arnold Grummer's Guide To Easy Paper Making
- Arnold Grummer's Papermill PRO Envelope & Stationery Kit
- Color fast paper to recycle (available in the art supply section of many stores)
- Beads, buttons, floss
- Scissors, glue
Click here to see image larger.
- Click here to see a diagram and layout of the pieces for this project.
- For background paper (8 1/2" x 11"): Recycle purple and blue wastepaper. Pour blended pulps into handmold or vat, gently swirling them to meet before pulling sheet to create two-color background. Watch 'Adding Color in the Deckle' on the video, or read Arnold Grummer's book to learn more about this technique if interested.
- Air dry background paper to achieve a heavily textured sheet.
- Recycle and air dry additional sheets in pink, yellow and brown for other parts of this collage, or use leftovers from other projects.
- Using the layout as a guide, cut pieces from handmade paper for girl's dress, face and feet.
- Cut pieces for moon, flower and hearts, or use paper punches.
- Layer cutouts onto the background.
- Use bead, button and floss embellishments to create decorative details.
- Use pink and red markers for polka dots on the girl's dress.
- Mount assembled collage on a 11" x 14" matboard. Use a black fine tip marker to write 'Love makes the world go round' border around the collage.
- Use a standard 11" x 14" premade frame available at many craft stores to frame and hang the finished project.
- Tip: For a longer lasting art piece, recycle color fast paper to create a piece that won't fade over time. Use Arnold Grummer's Paper Additive to make the piece acid free. Hang or display out of direct sunlight.
Read NextAltered Book Tips and Inspiration