Knit and Crochet Nature Hat
By: Kathy Elkins of Valley Yarns for Yarn.com
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Make this unique nature hat for the next cold season from WEBS - America's Yarn Store. It combines knitting with crochet for that intriguing look. A crochet hook and knitting needles are needed.
Finished Size: Approx. 19” around x 8” tall
- Valley Yarns Valley Superwash DK (100% Extrafine Superwash Merino, 137yds / 50g) 1 sk each of:
- MC: color 03 Black
- CC1: color 11 Spring Leaf
- CC2: color 14 Teal
- CC3: color 19 Misty Lilac
- Size E (3.5mm) crochet hook
- US size 6 (4.0mm) double pointed or circular needle or size needed to get gauge
24 sts and 32 rows = 4” in Stockinette st
dc: double crochet
k2tog: knit 2 together
pm: place marker
sc: single crochet
sl st: slip stitch
Granny Square Brim:
Square 1 (make 3):
With CC1, ch4 and join with a sl st to form ring.
Rnd 1: With CC1, ch3 (counts as first dc), [2dc, ch1] into center, *[3dc, ch1] into center; rep from * twice more, sl st into top of ch3, cut yarn and fasten off.
Rnd 2: Join CC2 to any ch1 sp, ch3 (counts as first dc), [2dc, ch1, 3dc, ch1] into same sp, *[3dc, ch1] twice into next ch1 sp; rep from * twice more, sl st into top of ch3, cut yarn and fasten off.
Rnd 3: Join CC3 to any ch1 corner sp, ch3 (counts as first dc), [2dc, ch1, 3dc, ch1] into same sp, *[3dc, ch1] into next ch1 sp, [3dc, ch1] twice into corner ch1 sp; rep from * twice more, sl st into top of ch3, cut yarn and fasten off.
Square 2 (make 2):
With CC2, ch4 and join with a sl st to form ring.
Rnd 1: With CC2, as Rnd 1 of Square 1.
Rnd 2: With CC3, as Rnd 2 of Square 1.
Rnd 3: With CC1, as Rnd 3 of Square 1.
Square 3 (make 2):
With CC3, ch4 and join with a sl st to form ring.
Rnd 1: With CC3, as Rnd 1 of Square 1.
Rnd 2: With CC1, as Rnd 2 of Square 1.
Rnd 3: With CC2, as Rnd 3 of Square 1.
Sew or crochet squares together in a strip and block, then join in a ring to form brim.
With MC and crochet hook, sc112 evenly around one edge of brim. With circular or double pointed needles, pick up and knit 1 st in each sc. Join in round.
Knit every round until hat measures 5” from lower edge of granny square brim, or 3” less than desired length.
Rnd 1: *K14, pm, rep from *. 8 markers placed.
Rnd 2: *K to 2 sts before marker, k2tog; rep from *. 104 sts.
Rnd 3: Knit.
Rep Rnds 2-3 until 8 sts remain. Cut yarn and draw through remaining sts. Pull yarn tight and weave in any loose ends.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Beginner's Favorite Knitted Hat
- 19 Free Hat Knitting Patterns
- Men's Winter Hat and Scarf
- Soft Cable Hat Knitting Pattern
- Chunky Cable Hat Knitting Pattern
- Pink Cabled Hat and Scarf
- Double Knit Hat with Earflaps
- Quick and Easy Knit in the Round Hat
- Gray Knit Scarf Set for Men
- His and Hers Winter Hats
- 13 Spring Crafts: Easter Craft Ideas, Spring DIY Home Dcor, and More
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Projects Every Crafter Wants
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Easter Craft eBook: Blogger Edition
- Garden Crafts
- Hop into Spring: Easter Crafting and Recipe
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Delightful Daisy DIY Wall Art
- Joyful Trees DIY Wall Art
- Darling Daisy Embroidered Shoes
- Southwest iPhone Embroidery Pattern
- Creative Scarves Book Review
- American Indian-Inspired Beaded Belt
- Crochet Chain Links Pillow
- Felt Succulent Banner
- Nautical Knock-off Bracelet Pattern
- Jazzed Up Friendship Bracelet