Beginner's Favorite Knitted Hat
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
If you're new to knitting or have never knitted a hat before, this Beginner's Favorite Knitted Hat from Red Heart Yarn is perfect for you! Cute knitted hats like this make great gifts for everyone and are easy and fun to make! Embellish it with a flower or pom for extra flair. Cozy and comfy, free hat knitting patterns are a winter weather essential. The warm design is sure to keep the cold from nipping at your ears all fall and winter long. Knit this cutie up in your favorite color yarn or create a neutral hat in browns or blacks for your man.
You can find this beginner knit pattern, along with several other easy knitting patterns, in our free eBook, Learn How to Knit for Beginners: 27 Easy Knitting Patterns.
- Red Heart® With Love™: 1 skein 1252 Mango
- Knitting Needles: 6mm [US 10]
- Yarn needle
Hat measures 18 inches around (slightly stretched).
GAUGE: 16 sts = 4”; 20 rows = 4” in ribbing, slightly stretched. CHECK
Cast on 70 sts.
- Row 1 (Wrong Side): *Purl 2, knit 2; repeat from * to last 2 stitches, purl 2.
- Row 2 (Right Side): *Knit 2, purl 2; repeat from * to last 2 stitches, knit 2.
- Repeat Rows 1 and 2 until work measures 10 inches from beginning, ending with a wrong side row.
- Row 1 (Right Side): *Knit 2, purl 2 together (decrease 1 stitch); repeat from * to last 2 stitches, knit 2 – 53 stitches.
- Row 2 (Wrong Side): *Purl 2, knit 1; repeat from * to last 2 stitches, purl 2.
- Row 3: *Knit 2, purl 1; repeat from * to last 2 stitches, knit 2.
- Row 4: Repeat Row 2.
- Next Row: *Knit 2 together, purl 1; repeat from * to last 2 stitches, knit 2 – 36 stitches.
- Next Row: Purl 2, *knit 1, purl 1; repeat from * to end.
- Next Row: *Knit 2 together; repeat from * to end – 18 stitches.
- Next Row: Purl.
- Last Row: *Knit 2 together; repeat from * to end – 9 sts.
- Cut yarn leaving a long end for seaming.
- Weave yarn through remaining stitches; gather stitches up firmly and secure. Sew the back seam. Starting about 3 inches from the bottom, sew the seam on the reverse side, as this will be turned up for the brim.
More Knit Hat Patterns for Beginners
Looking for more knit hat patterns? Check out the list of more free patterns below.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 13 Spring Crafts: Easter Craft Ideas, Spring DIY Home Dcor, and More
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Projects Every Crafter Wants
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Easter Craft eBook: Blogger Edition
- Garden Crafts
- Hop into Spring: Easter Crafting and Recipe
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Shawl Scarf Crochet Pattern
- Stunning Leather Trimmed Crochet Scarf Pattern
- Knit Look Cowl Crochet Pattern
- Bean Stitch Cowl Crochet Pattern
- Plush Basketweave Baby Blanket Pattern
- "18 Projects Every Crafter Wants" free eBook
- Amethyst DIY Jewelry Box Anthropologie Knockoff
- Retro Gumball Machine Craft
- Faux Fur DIY Wall Hangings
- Marquee Light DIY Desk Decor