Rugged Bulky Knit Hat
By: Kristin Omdahl of Styled By Kristin
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
This Rugged Bulky Knit Hat is one of our favorite beginner knitting patterns because it's easy to make and is a great accessory for Winter. If you like a rugged look, this free bulky knit hat pattern from Kristin Omdahl of Styled By Kristin is perfect for you! There are two versions to choose from, so take your pick!
- One 100gm ball Plymouth Yarn's Yukon Print (35% mohair, 35% wool, 30% acrylic)
- US15 (10mm) knitting needles
Bulky Knitted Hat (stockinette stitch version):
CO 8 sts
Row 1: purl across
Row 2: kfb into each stitch across (16 sts)
Row 3: purl across
Row 4: (k1, kfb) across (24 sts)
Row 5: purl across
Row 6: (k2, kfb) across (32 sts)
Row 7: purl across
Row 8: (k3, kfb) across (40 sts)
Row 9: purl across
Row 10: (k4, kfb) across (48 sts)
Work even in stockinette stitch for 5”. Work one more inch in 1x1 ribbing (k1, p1)
Rugged Ribbed Hat Pattern (1x1 ribbed version):
CO 8 sts
Row 1: knit across
Row 2: (k1, p1) into each stitch across (16 sts)
Row 3: knit the knit sts and purl the purl sts from the previous row
Row 4: [k1, p1, (k1, p1 in same stitch) twice] x4 (24 sts)
Row 5: repeat row 3
Row 6: [k1, p1, k1, p1 (k1, p1 in same stitch) twice] x4 (32 sts)
Row 7: repeat row 3
Row 8: [(k1, p1) x3 (k1, p1 in same stitch) twice] x4 (40 sts)
Row 9: repeat row 3
Row 10: [(k1, p1) x4 (k1, p1 in same stitch) twice] x4 (48 sts)
Work even in established rib pattern for 6”
Bind off in rib.
Finishing (for both hats):
After bind off, leave long tail before cutting yarn. Thread this tail with a tapestry needle. Sew up the back seam, up to the cast on edge. Pull up a loop in each cast on stitch, pull tightly for a snug closure. Fasten off. Weave in loose end.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 13 Spring Crafts: Easter Craft Ideas, Spring DIY Home Dcor, and More
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Projects Every Crafter Wants
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Easter Craft eBook: Blogger Edition
- Garden Crafts
- Hop into Spring: Easter Crafting and Recipe
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts