Rugged Bulky Knit Hat
By: Kristin Omdahl of Styled By Kristin
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
This Rugged Bulky Knit Hat is one of our favorite beginner knitting patterns because it's easy to make and is a great accessory for Winter. If you like a rugged look, this free bulky knit hat pattern from Kristin Omdahl of Styled By Kristin is perfect for you! There are two versions to choose from, so take your pick!
- One 100gm ball Plymouth Yarn's Yukon Print (35% mohair, 35% wool, 30% acrylic)
- US15 (10mm) knitting needles
Bulky Knitted Hat (stockinette stitch version):
CO 8 sts
Row 1: purl across
Row 2: kfb into each stitch across (16 sts)
Row 3: purl across
Row 4: (k1, kfb) across (24 sts)
Row 5: purl across
Row 6: (k2, kfb) across (32 sts)
Row 7: purl across
Row 8: (k3, kfb) across (40 sts)
Row 9: purl across
Row 10: (k4, kfb) across (48 sts)
Work even in stockinette stitch for 5”. Work one more inch in 1x1 ribbing (k1, p1)
Rugged Ribbed Hat Pattern (1x1 ribbed version):
CO 8 sts
Row 1: knit across
Row 2: (k1, p1) into each stitch across (16 sts)
Row 3: knit the knit sts and purl the purl sts from the previous row
Row 4: [k1, p1, (k1, p1 in same stitch) twice] x4 (24 sts)
Row 5: repeat row 3
Row 6: [k1, p1, k1, p1 (k1, p1 in same stitch) twice] x4 (32 sts)
Row 7: repeat row 3
Row 8: [(k1, p1) x3 (k1, p1 in same stitch) twice] x4 (40 sts)
Row 9: repeat row 3
Row 10: [(k1, p1) x4 (k1, p1 in same stitch) twice] x4 (48 sts)
Work even in established rib pattern for 6”
Bind off in rib.
Finishing (for both hats):
After bind off, leave long tail before cutting yarn. Thread this tail with a tapestry needle. Sew up the back seam, up to the cast on edge. Pull up a loop in each cast on stitch, pull tightly for a snug closure. Fasten off. Weave in loose end.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 11 DIY Christmas Decorations and Gift Ideas
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 24 Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes and Fall Craft Projects
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Jolly Holidays: 15 Free Knit and Crochet Gifts and Holiday Projects
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Dr. Knit's Curious Creatures Book Review
- Cool Comforts Knit Throw
- Casual Cables Throw
- Color Dip Scarf
- Premier Deluxe Interchangeable Needle Set
- Mason Jar DIY Herb Garden Infographic
- Solar Robot Coloring Page
- Spring Flowers Adult Coloring Page
- Rusty the Robot Coloring Page
- Robot on the Beach Coloring Page