Cable Knit Scarf and Hat
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Create a matching set of cable scarf and hat with this knit cable pattern from Bernat Yarns. Knit the scarf and hat in matching colors or coordinating colors like this example. The braided cable pattern is lovely, though designed for intermediate knitters.
- Yarn: 4 ball of Bernat Alpaca (100 g/3.5 oz) (1 for the hat, 3 for the scarf) Example Colors: Hat- #93420 (Peony) Scarf #93007 (Natural)
- Knitting Needles: Sizes 6 mm (U.S. 10) and 6.5 mm (US 10 1/2) or size needed to obtain gauge.
- Cable needle.
13 sts and 16 rows = 4" 10 cm in stocking st.
Scarf: Approx 7 x 60" 18 x 152.5 cm.
C4B = Slip next 2 stitches onto cable needle and leave at back of work. K2, then K2 from cable needle.
C4F = Slip next 2 stitches onto cable needle and leave at front of work. K2, then K2 from cable needle.
Panel Pat (worked over 16 sts).
1st row: (RS). (K4. P2) twice. K4.
2nd and alt rows: Knit the knit sts and purl the purl sts as they appear.
3rd row: C4B. P2. K4. P2. C4F.
5th row: K4. C4B. C4F. K4.
7th row: K2. C4B. K4. C4F. K2.
8th row: (P4. K2) twice. P4.
9th to 12th rows: As 1st to 4th rows.
With smaller needles, cast on 68 sts.
1st row: (RS). *K1. P1. Rep from * to end of row.
Rep last row 3 times more, inc 5 sts evenly across last row. 73 sts.
With larger needles, proceed as follows:
1st row: (RS). (P2. Work 1st row of Panel Pat) 4 times. P1.
2nd row: K1. (Work 2nd row of Panel Pat. K2) 4 times. Panel Pat is now in position.
Cont in pat until 12 rows of Panel Pat have been worked twice.
1st row: (RS). *K2. K2tog. K3. K2tog. Rep from * to last st. K1. 57 sts.
2nd row: Knit.
3rd row: *K5. K2tog. Rep from * to last st. K1. 49 sts.
4th row: Purl.
5th row: *K4. K2tog. Rep from * to last st. K1. 41 sts.
6th row: Purl.
Cont in same manner, dec 8 sts on next and every following alt row to 17 sts. Break yarn, leaving a long end. Thread end through rem sts and fasten securely. Sew back seam.
With larger needles, cast on 30 sts.
**1st and 2nd rows: *K1. P1. Rep from * to end of row.
3rd and 4th rows: *P1. K1. Rep from * to end of row.
Rep last 4 rows twice more,** inc 2 sts evenly across last row. 32 sts.
Proceed as follows:
1st row: (RS). (K1. P1) 3 times. P2. Work 1st row of Panel Pat. P2. (K1. P1) 3 times.
2nd row: (P1. K1) 3 times. K2. Work 2nd row of Panel Pat. K2. (P1. K1) 3 times. Panel Pat and edging are now in position.
Cont in pat until work from beg measures 58 ins [147.5 cm], ending with 12th row of Panel Pat and dec 2 sts evenly across last row. 30 sts.
Work from ** to **. Cast off in pat.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 31 Halloween Craft Projects
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Wrap Up With 25 Afghan Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- Quick & Thrifty Crochet Patterns
- Make It A Red Heart Holiday
- Quick and Easy Decoupage from Plaid
- Homemade Christmas Gift Guide
- 9 Thanksgiving Decorations to Make
- The Make My Own Holiday Gifts Guide
- Fun & Fabulous Mod Podge Projects From Plaid
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- T-shirt DIY Dog Toy
- Reversible Fabric DIY Headbands
- Pretty Bird DIY Birdhouses
- Denim Pockets DIY Organizer
- Snowball Fight Snowman Crafts
- Heart Stamped DIY Box
- Girls' Bolero Free Sewing Pattern
- Magnet Makeover Chalkboard Paint Ideas
- Last-Minute DIY Valentine
- Paper Box DIY Candle Holder