Cable Newsboy Cap
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Knit an adorable newsboy cap with crochet button strap and cable detailing. This cable hat knitting pattern from Red Heart Yarn is stylish and fun, and allows intermediate knitters to practice cabling.
- Yarn: RED HEART® “Designer Sport™”: 1 ball 3825 Pool.
- Knitting Needles: 3.5mm [US 4] circular, 24” long.
- Crochet Hook: 3.75mm (US F-5).
- Cable needle
- stitch marker
- yarn needle
- Two buttons
- 1” diameter
Size: One size fits most; circumference is 22”.
Gauge: 20 sts = 4”; 28 rows = 4” in Stockinette stitch.
Note: Cap is knit in rounds on circular needle. Band and brim are crocheted.
Cast on 120 sts. Join to work in rounds, being careful not to twist sts. Place a marker for beginning of round.
Rounds 1-8: [P4, k8] 10 times.
Round 9: [P4, slip 4 sts to cable needle and hold in front, k4, k4 from cable needle] 10 times.
Rounds 10-20: [P4, k8] 10 times.
Repeat last 12 rounds once.
Round 33: [P2tog, p2, slip 4 sts to cable needle and hold in front, k4, k4 from cable needle] 10 times – 110 sts.
Rounds 34-38: [P3, k8] 10 times.
Round 35: [P2tog, p1, k8] 10 times – 100 sts.
Rounds 36-40: [P2, k8] 10 times.
Round 41: [P2tog, slip 4 sts to cable needle and hold in front, k4, k4 from cable needle] 10 times – 90 sts.
Rounds 42-46: [P1, k8] 10 times.
Cut yarn, leaving a long tail.
With crochet hook and holding 2 strands of yarn together, join yarn to cast-on edge to right of a cable.
Round 1: *Work sc in each st of cable (8 sc), skip 1 st, sc in next st, skip 1 st, sc in next st; repeat from * 9 more times – 100 sc.
Rounds 2-5: Sc in each sc around.
Row 1: Working in front loops only, sc in next 36 sc, leaving remaining sts unworked.
Rows 2-6: Ch 1, turn, skip 2 sts, sc in each sc across.
Round 1: Slip st in each st and each row of Brim around Band, slip st to first st to join.
Holding 2 strands of yarn together, ch 36.
Round 1: Work 2 sc in 2nd ch from hook and each ch across to last ch, 3 sc in last ch, turn to work along opposite side of ch, sc between each sc, work last sc in same space as beginning of rnd.
Round 2: Work 2 sc in first st, sc in each sc to center sc of 3 sc, 2 sc in next st, sc in each sc to first sc, slip st in first sc to join.
Weave tail through bound-off row and pull to close. Knot to secure. Position Strap over Brim. Sew buttons through both layers to secure Strap in place. Weave in ends.
For more ideas, visit Red Heart.
For more great knitting patterns be sure to check out our 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns eBook!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 12 Easy DIY Projects
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 25 Easy to Make Homemade Jewelry Crafts
- Family Fun Crafts: 16 Craft Ideas for Kids
- Garden Crafts
- How To Make Tie Dye Shirts, Decor & More: 18 Tie Dye Patterns
- Learn How to Knit for Beginners: 27 Easy Knitting Patterns
- The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2015: Home Decor Ideas, DIY Jewelry, Easy Crochet Patterns and More
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Felt Organizers Set
- Recycled Milk Carton Stationery Organizer
- Vintage Lamb Crochet Toddler Hat Pattern
- Witch Hat Topiary Halloween Centerpiece
- Hemp Cord
- Winter Frost DIY Succulent Planters
- New Year's Ball Drop Display
- Absolutely Adorable DIY Mason Jar Candle
- Metallic Glittered Star Assortment
- Cute Crochet Macarons