Cable Newsboy Cap
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Knit an adorable newsboy cap with crochet button strap and cable detailing. This cable hat knitting pattern from Red Heart Yarn is stylish and fun, and allows intermediate knitters to practice cabling.
- Yarn: RED HEART® “Designer Sport™”: 1 ball 3825 Pool.
- Knitting Needles: 3.5mm [US 4] circular, 24” long.
- Crochet Hook: 3.75mm (US F-5).
- Cable needle
- stitch marker
- yarn needle
- Two buttons
- 1” diameter
Size: One size fits most; circumference is 22”.
Gauge: 20 sts = 4”; 28 rows = 4” in Stockinette stitch.
Note: Cap is knit in rounds on circular needle. Band and brim are crocheted.
Cast on 120 sts. Join to work in rounds, being careful not to twist sts. Place a marker for beginning of round.
Rounds 1-8: [P4, k8] 10 times.
Round 9: [P4, slip 4 sts to cable needle and hold in front, k4, k4 from cable needle] 10 times.
Rounds 10-20: [P4, k8] 10 times.
Repeat last 12 rounds once.
Round 33: [P2tog, p2, slip 4 sts to cable needle and hold in front, k4, k4 from cable needle] 10 times – 110 sts.
Rounds 34-38: [P3, k8] 10 times.
Round 35: [P2tog, p1, k8] 10 times – 100 sts.
Rounds 36-40: [P2, k8] 10 times.
Round 41: [P2tog, slip 4 sts to cable needle and hold in front, k4, k4 from cable needle] 10 times – 90 sts.
Rounds 42-46: [P1, k8] 10 times.
Cut yarn, leaving a long tail.
With crochet hook and holding 2 strands of yarn together, join yarn to cast-on edge to right of a cable.
Round 1: *Work sc in each st of cable (8 sc), skip 1 st, sc in next st, skip 1 st, sc in next st; repeat from * 9 more times – 100 sc.
Rounds 2-5: Sc in each sc around.
Row 1: Working in front loops only, sc in next 36 sc, leaving remaining sts unworked.
Rows 2-6: Ch 1, turn, skip 2 sts, sc in each sc across.
Round 1: Slip st in each st and each row of Brim around Band, slip st to first st to join.
Holding 2 strands of yarn together, ch 36.
Round 1: Work 2 sc in 2nd ch from hook and each ch across to last ch, 3 sc in last ch, turn to work along opposite side of ch, sc between each sc, work last sc in same space as beginning of rnd.
Round 2: Work 2 sc in first st, sc in each sc to center sc of 3 sc, 2 sc in next st, sc in each sc to first sc, slip st in first sc to join.
Weave tail through bound-off row and pull to close. Knot to secure. Position Strap over Brim. Sew buttons through both layers to secure Strap in place. Weave in ends.
For more ideas, visit Red Heart.
For more great knitting patterns be sure to check out our 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns eBook!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 13 Spring Crafts: Easter Craft Ideas, Spring DIY Home Dcor, and More
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Projects Every Crafter Wants
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Easter Craft eBook: Blogger Edition
- Garden Crafts
- Hop into Spring: Easter Crafting and Recipe
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Shawl Scarf Crochet Pattern
- Stunning Leather Trimmed Crochet Scarf Pattern
- Knit Look Cowl Crochet Pattern
- Bean Stitch Cowl Crochet Pattern
- Plush Basketweave Baby Blanket Pattern
- "18 Projects Every Crafter Wants" free eBook
- Amethyst DIY Jewelry Box Anthropologie Knockoff
- Retro Gumball Machine Craft
- Faux Fur DIY Wall Hangings
- Marquee Light DIY Desk Decor