Chunky Cable Hat Knitting Pattern
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Knit a chunky cable hat from Bernat Yarns to keep you warm and stylish through the winter with this free hat knitting pattern. The pom-pom is optional, but easy to create with these instructions.
- Yarn: 1 ball of Bernat® Softee Chunky (100 g / 3.5 oz) #39134 (Deep Sea).
- Knitting Needles- Size 6 mm (U.S. 10) or size needed to obtain gauge.
- Cable needle - CN.
Gauge: 15 sts and 20 rows = 4 ins [10 cm] in stocking st.
C4B = Slip next 2 sts onto a CN and leave at back of work. K2, then K2 from CN.
C4F = Slip next 2 sts onto CN and leave at front of work. K2, then K2 from CN.
Cast on 70 sts.
1st row: (RS). K2. *P2. K2. Rep from * to end of row.
2nd row: P2. *K2. P2. Rep from * to end of row.
Rep last 2 rows twice more, inc 12 sts evenly across last row. 82 sts.
Proceed in Shadow Cable Pat as follows: 1st row: (RS). Knit.
2nd and alt rows: Purl.
3rd row: K1. *C4B. K4. Rep from * to last st. K1.
5th row: Knit.
7th row: K5. *C4F. K4. Rep from * to last 5 sts. C4F. K1.
8th row: Purl.
Rep last 8 rows twice more, then 1st to 4th rows once.
Shape top: 1st row: (RS). K1.*K6. K2tog. Rep from * to last st. K1. 72 sts.
2nd and alt rows: Purl.
3rd row: K1. *K5. K2tog. Rep from * to last st. K1. 62 sts.
5th row: K1. *K4. K2tog. Rep from * to last st. K1. 52 sts.
7th row: *K2. K2tog. Rep from * to end of row. 39 sts.
8th row: P1. *P2tog. Rep from * to end of row. 20 sts.
Break yarn, leaving a long end. Thread end through rem sts and draw up firmly. Fasten securely. Sew back seam.
Pom-pom: Wind yarn around 4 fingers 50 times. Tie tightly in the middle and leave a long end for attaching to hat. Cut loops at both ends and trim to smooth round shape.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Beginner's Favorite Knitted Hat
- 19 Free Hat Knitting Patterns
- Men's Winter Hat and Scarf
- Adorable Chunky Pom Knit Toddler Hat Pattern
- Pink Cabled Hat and Scarf
- Chunky Cable Hat Knitting Pattern
- Soft Cable Hat Knitting Pattern
- Gray Knit Scarf Set for Men
- Cable Knit Scarf and Hat
- Bright Knit Hats and Mittens Holiday Decorations
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 31 Halloween Craft Projects
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- Homemade Halloween Decorations
- Recycled Craft Ideas: Easy Crafts to Make with Recycled Material
- 11 DIY Christmas Decorations and Gift Ideas
- 11 Teacher-Approved Crafts for School
- 12 Easter Egg Ideas & Easter Crafts for Adults
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- DIY Faux Fur Crossbody Bag
- Rustic Wedding in a Barn
- DIY Burlap Aisle Runner
- Shell N Picots Slouch Hat
- Recycled Pallet and Scrap Booking Shelf
- Stamped Matilda Inspired Hoodie
- Candy Corn Fabric Wreath
- Fall Burlap Wreath
- Big Knit Easy Blanket Sweater
- Pick Your State Printable Art