Easy Newborn Hat
By: M.E.H. DESIGNS
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
If you are new to knitting, give this easy newborn hat knitting pattern a try. This baby hat knitting pattern from M.E.H. Designs shows you how to knit a baby hat and gather a simple knit square into a tube for the hat. Two strands of yarn are knit together for a pretty look that is simple to achieve. This hat knitting pattern fits newborns to babies of 3 months, but can be adjusted for bigger sizes once you get the hang of the technique. This baby hat knitting pattern can also be used to make a play hat for your child's baby doll.
You can find this beginner knit pattern, along with several other easy knitting patterns, in our free eBook, Learn How to Knit for Beginners: 27 Easy Knitting Patterns.
- Knitting worsted yarn, (Red Heart Super Saver, pink and cream)
- Knitting needles, size 8mm (US 11)
Gauge is not important in this design.
Working with 2 strands of yarn, as though they were one, Cast on 14 stitches. Knit across the row.
Knit across every row, until the rectangle measures 12 inches long.
Cast off, leaving a long yarn end.
Thread the yarn end into a darning needle.
- Fold the rectangle in half, and sew up the seam to form a tube. Secure at the corner with a few stitches, then weave the darning needle through one open end of the hat to form the top. Gather tightly, and take a few stitches to secure.
(Fold in half.)
(Sew to form a tube.)
(Weave through the top of the hat)
(Gather tightly and secure.)
(Finished top of the hat)
(If the hole in the center of the hat is a bit large, take a few stitches back and forth to fill it.)
Make the Cords (Optional)
Cast on 50 stitches, cast off. Weave the yarn ends into the finished chain. Pass through a few stitches of the hat, and tie into a bow.
Embellish your hat with buttons, or the cord bows.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 31 Halloween Craft Projects
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Wrap Up With 25 Afghan Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- Quick & Thrifty Crochet Patterns
- Make It A Red Heart Holiday
- Quick and Easy Decoupage from Plaid
- Homemade Christmas Gift Guide
- 9 Thanksgiving Decorations to Make
- The Make My Own Holiday Gifts Guide
- Fun & Fabulous Mod Podge Projects From Plaid