Whimsical Knit Cupcake Hat
By: Nazanin Fard for Red Heart
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Looking for free knit baby hat patterns? The whimsical knit cupcake hat from Red Heart Yarn will have your little one looking adorable all day!
Directions are for size Baby; changes for size Toddler are in parentheses.
Hat Circumference: 14 (16)".
- TLC® ―"Baby" 6 oz (170 g), 490 yd (448 m): 1 skein each 5737 Powder Pink A, and 5011 White B
- RED HEART® ―"Buttercup™" 1.76 oz (50 g), 72 yd (66 m) balls: 1 ball 4272 White Coral C
- Circular knitting needles, 6mm [US 10] 20" long
- Double pointed needles, 1 set 6mm [US 10]
- Stitch markers (5)
- Yarn needle
Gauge: 16 sts = 4"; 24 rounds = 4" in K2, p2 rib with 2 strands A held together. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size needles to obtain the gauge.
Colors A and B are each worked holding two strands of the same color together as one. Color C is worked with one strand.
Hat is worked in the round. As stitches are decreased and no longer fit on circular needle, divide them among 3 double pointed needles to complete.
K2, p2 Rib (multiple of 4 sts)
Round 1: * K2, p2; repeat from * around.
Repeat Round 1 for K2, p2 rib.
With 2 strands A and circular needle, cast on 56 (64) sts.
Place marker for beginning of round and join, being careful not to twist sts.
Rounds 1–12: Work in K2, p2 rib. Cut A.
Round 13: With 2 strands B, k even around.
Round 14: * K1, yo; repeat from * around–112 (128) sts.
Rounds 15 and 17: K even around.
Round 16: P even around.
Round 18: K2tog around– 56 (64) sts. Cut B leaving a 20" tail.
Round 1: With 1 strand C, * k14 (16), place marker; repeat from * around.
Round 2: * K to 2 sts before marker, k2tog; repeat from * around–52 (60) sts. Repeat Round 2, 9 (11) times more–16 sts.
Next Round: K2tog around–8 sts.
Next Round: K2tog around–4 sts.
Next Round: K2tog around–2 sts. Bind off.
With tail left at the end of round 18, sew round 13 to round 18 to create a ruffle around the hat.
Weave in yarn ends.
With B, make one 1‖ pompom (or desired size).
Attach to top of hat.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 31 Halloween Craft Projects
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Wrap Up With 25 Afghan Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- Quick & Thrifty Crochet Patterns
- Make It A Red Heart Holiday
- Quick and Easy Decoupage from Plaid
- Homemade Christmas Gift Guide
- 9 Thanksgiving Decorations to Make
- The Make My Own Holiday Gifts Guide
- Fun & Fabulous Mod Podge Projects From Plaid