Lil Pumpkin Hat
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
This adorable Lil Pumpkin Hat from Vickie Howell would look so cute on your lil' pumpkin! This knit hat pattern is made for toddlers, but could easily be altered to fit young babies or older children. You could also customize the colors to be whatever you'd like!
- Stitch.Rock.Love. Sheep(ish) from Caron (70% Acrylic/30% Wool; 3oz/85g, 167yds/153m) (#0014 Coral(ish) (A): 1 skein, #0020 Chartreuse(is) (B): 1 skein)
- One size U.S. 8 (5mm) circular needle, 16”/40.5cm long
- One set of five size U.S. 8 (5mm) double-pointed needles (dpns)
- Stitch marker
- Yarn needle
Infant (Toddler, Child)
Circumference: 16 (18 1/4, 20)"
Note: Hat will stretch up to 2" in circumference.
GAUGE: In Stockinette stitch, 18 sts and 24 rows = 4"/10cm
STITCHES USED: Garter Stitch: Knit 1 rnd, purl 1 rnd when working in the rnd; knit all rows when working back and forth.
SPECIAL TECHNIQUE: I-cord: Using a double-pointed needle, cast on the number of sts indicated in instructions; DO NOT TURN. *Slide sts to the opposite end of the needle and knit them, pulling yarn firmly behind sts; rep from * to desired length. After a few rows, you will see that you are knitting a tiny tube; give it a gentle tug now and then to adjust any loose sts. Bind off all sts, leaving a 2"/5cm tail for finishing.
STRIPE PATTERN: Working in St st (knit every rnd), [work 4 rnds B, 2 rnds A] twice, *work 2 rnds B, 2 rnds A; rep from * for Stripe Pattern.
- With circ needle and A, CO 72 (82, 90) sts. Join to work in the rnd, taking care not to twist sts; place marker at beginning of rnd.
- Work in Garter st for 6 rnds.
- Change to St st and Stripe Pattern; work even for 19 (19, 23) rnds.
- Note: Change to dpns when necessary for number of sts on needle.
- Dec Rnd 1: Continuing in Stripe Pattern, *k2tog, k4; rep from * to last 6 (4, 6) sts, k2tog, k4 (2, 4)–60 (68, 75) sts. Knit 2 rnds.
- Dec Rnd 2: *K3, k2tog; rep from * to last 0 (3, 0) sts, k0 (3, 0)–48 (55, 60) sts. Knit 1 rnd.
- Dec Rnd 3: *K2tog, k2; rep from * to last 0 (3, 0) sts, k0 (3, 0)–36 (41, 45) sts. Knit 1 rnd.
- Dec Rnd 4: *K2tog, k1; rep from * to last 0 (2, 0) sts, k0 (2, 0)–24 (28, 30) sts. Knit 1 rnd.
- Dec Rnd 5: *K2tog; rep from * to end–12 (14, 15) sts. Discontinuing Stripe Pattern and continuing in B, knit 3 rnds.
- Dec Rnd 6: *K2tog; rep from * to last 0 (0, 1) st(s), k0 (0, 1)–6 (7, 8) sts. Knit 3 rnds.
- Change to A; knit 3 rnds.
- Break yarn, weave through remaining sts, cinch shut on WS.
EARFLAPS (make 2)
- Fold Hat in half widthwise, with beginning of rnd at fold line. Mark center of each side of Hat for center of Earflap. With RS facing, dpns and A, pick up and knit 5 sts on either side of one center marker–10 sts. Knit 5 rows.
- Dec Row: Ssk, knit to last 2 sts, k2tog–8 sts. Knit 3 rows.
- Rep Dec Row every other row 3 times–2 sts. Continuing with remaining sts, make a 11"/28cm length of I-cord. BO all sts. Trim tail.
- Using yarn needle, weave in ends.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 13 Spring Crafts: Easter Craft Ideas, Spring DIY Home Dcor, and More
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Projects Every Crafter Wants
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Easter Craft eBook: Blogger Edition
- Garden Crafts
- Hop into Spring: Easter Crafting and Recipe
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Girls Gathered Dress Free Sewing Pattern
- Summer Beach Wreath
- Father's Day Keychain
- Jaws-Dropping DIY Jewelry
- Beware of Sharks DIY Wreath
- Chum-Chomping Cootie Catcher
- Cushy Crochet Cowl Patterns
- Ten Minute Hair Bows
- Grapefruit Body Polish Recipe
- Easiest Ever DIY Headband