Mini Book Pendant
This adorable Mini Book Pendant is the perfect gift for any bookworm. Made to fold out like an accordion, this sweet pendant is the perfect place for holding words, photos, and phrases that are near and dear to your heart. Great for Mother's Day or any other gift-giving occasion, this Mini Book Pendant is sure to be a necklace that anyone would treasure for years to come.
- Strip of A4 paper, cut lengthwise (in landscape orientation), width: 2.28 inches, color: white
- 2 rectangular pieces of thick cardstock (for the front and back covers) – I’ve cut my covers from a medicine box. Dimensions: 2.30 inches x 1.48 inches (do not use colorful cardstock because we want the lacy design to stand out against a single and darker color)
- 2 pieces of lace ribbon, one 1.38 inches wide and the other one 0.95 inches wide, both of them cut to the length of your white paper strip
- Scrap piece of a lacy design (to glue on the front cover of your book pendant)
- Narrow satin ribbon, approximately 13 inches long
- Tiny embellishments for the front cover
- Jump ring (a larger one is better)
- Jewelry pliers
- Scissors/craft knife
- Sewing needle or bookbinding awl
- You will have a nice looking accordion fold, without measuring at all, if you do the following: Fold your strip in half very carefully, as many times needed till your final folded paper is the size (or approximately the size) of the book covers you’re using. Then unfold it and start folding again, on the same folds you’ve already made, but in an accordion form this time.
- In this accordion lace book pendant you can keep to-do-lists, lists of things to remember, inspirational quotes, notes from special people who brighten up your life.
- To begin with, prepare the accordion book pendant covers. If the cardstock you use isn’t thick enough, you need to cut two additional pieces and glue them onto the others, to make the covers thicker. Wait for the glue to dry.
- Fold the lower part of your white paper strip upwards, lengthwise and carefully , to the 1/3 of the strip’s width. Glue your wider lace ribbon on the upper part of the strip. Then, glue the narrower lace ribbon on the narrow strip you’ve just folded. Put the strip aside for a while and wait for the glue to dry completely before proceeding to the next step.
- After the glue has dried, make an accordion fold with the strip. Glue the covers on the two ends of your accordion strip (on the side with the lace). If the covers need any trimming it’s the right time to do it - use your ruler and pencil to draw straight lines and trim with extra care, so you won’t accidentally cut any of the accordion book’s folds.
- Wait until the glue dries again and then take your satin ribbon, glue it along the center of the back cover (horizontally).
- The free ribbon end on the right side of the back cover has to be about 2 inches longer than the other free ribbon end (if you want to tie the ribbon in a bow on the right side of your front cover). The glue must dry completely before you attempt tying the satin ribbon around the book pendant.
- Use the sewing needle or the bookbinding awl to poke a hole in the upper right corner of the back cover, not larger than needed. Pass the jump ring through this hole and close the ends tightly, with the jewelry pliers.
- Add the embellishments on your front cover and your accordion lace book pendant is ready! Remember to wait for the glue to dry completely.
- Fill the pockets with note taking paper from non-sticky note blocks, in various colors of your choice.
- Wear it around your neck on a chain or a cord (satin or leather).