Camouflage Dog Coat
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Keep your dog warm with this adorable camouflage dog coat with cargo pockets from Bernat Yarns! This free knitting pattern shows you how to make a quick and easy coat for any size dog. This easy dog coat is great for playing and walking outdoors in the wintertime...and the little cargo pocket is perfect for storing your keys as you two walk in the park. Dogs of all kinds will love the warmth of this fun seasonal knit accessory.
- 1 (2, 2, 2) ball(s) Bernat Camouflage Yarn, or color of your choice (MC)
- 1 (1, 1, 1) ball contrasting yarn, color of your choice (A)
- 4mm (US 6) knitting needles
- 5mm (US 8) knitting needles
- 4mm (US 6) circular knitting needles
- 4mm (US 6) double pointed knitting needles
Gauge: 18 sts and 24 rows = 4" [10 cm] in stocking st with larger needles.
Sizes: S (M-L-XL)
To fit dog chest measurement: 10 (13-16-24)" [25.5 (33-40.5-61) cm].
The instructions are written for smallest size. If changes are necessary for larger sizes the instructions will be written thus ( ).
With MC and smaller needles, cast on 40 (46-58-82) sts.
Beg with a WS row, knit 9 rows inc 4 sts evenly across last row. 44 (50-62-86) sts.
Change to larger needles and beg with a knit row, work 2 rows in stocking st.
Next row: (RS). Inc 1 st in first st. Knit to last 2 sts. Inc 1 st in next st. K1. 46 (52-64-88) sts.
Cont in stocking st, inc 1 st at each end of needle, as before, to 50 (60-72-104) sts, then on following alt rows to 54 (68-82-122) sts.
- Purl 1 row.
Note: All Leg sections are worked at the same time using separate balls of yarn for each section.
Next row: (RS). K5 (5-7-11). Cast off 4 (6-6-10) sts. K36 (46-56-80) (including st on needle after cast off). Cast off 4 (6-6-10) sts. Knit to end of row.
Beg with a purl row, work for 1 (1 1/2-1 1/2-2 1/2) ins [2.5 (4-4-6) cm] in stocking st, ending with purl row.
Joining row: K5 (5-7-11). Cast on 4 (6-6-10) sts. K36 (46-56-80). Cast on 4 (6-6-10) sts. Knit to end of row. 54 (68-82-122) sts.
- Cont even until work after neckband measures 4 1/2 (5 1/2-7-10)" [11.5 (14-18-25.5) cm], ending with purl row. Place a marker at each end of last row.
Cast off 6 (7-9-13) sts beg next 2 rows. 42 (54-64-96) sts.
Next row: (RS). Sl1. K1. psso. Knit to last 2 sts. K2tog.
Next row: Purl. Rep last 2 rows to 26 (36-42-66) sts.
- Cont even until work after neckband measures 10 (12 1/2-15 1/2-21) ins [25.5 (32-39.5-53.5) cm], ending with purl row. Leave sts on a spare needle. Sew neck seam to markers.
With RS facing, MC and circular needle, pick up and knit 33 (37-51-67) sts along body from marker to back. K26 (36-42-66) from spare needle dec 3 (3-5-5) sts evenly across. Pick up and knit 33 (37-51-67) sts along opposite side of body to marker. 89 (107-139-195) sts.
**Join in rnd, and placing a marker on first st, proceed as follows:
Next rnd: Purl.
Next rnd: Knit.
- Rep last 2 rnds 3 times more. Cast off purlwise.**
- With RS facing, MC and first double pointed needle, pick up and knit 7 (9-10-12) sts. [With next double pointed needle pick up and knit 7 (9-10-12) sts] twice. 21 (27-30-36) sts. Work from ** to ** as given above.
With A and larger needles, cast on 25 (25-30-30) sts.
- Proceed in stocking st for 5 (5-6-6) ins [12.5 (12.5-15-15) cm], ending with a purl row. Cast off.
With A and larger needles, cast on 12 sts.
1st row: (WS). P3. Knit to end of row.
2nd row: Knit to last 4 sts. Inc 1 st in next st. K3.
Rep last 2 rows to 23 (23-26-26) sts.
Next row: (WS-buttonhole row). P3. K2. yfwd. K2tog. Knit to end of row.
Next row: Knit to last 5 sts. K2tog. K3.
Next row: P3. Knit to end of row.
Rep last 2 rows to 12 sts, ending with a purl row. Cast off.
- Sew Pocket to back. Sew top edge of Pocket Flap in position 1/2 inch [1 cm] above top pocket edge. Sew button to Pocket to correspond to Pocket Flap buttonhole.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive, partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Christian's Snowman Hat
- 59 Free Scarf Knitting Patterns
- Chunky Knitted Snowman
- "24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns" eBook
- Unbelievably Easy Knit Dishcloth Pattern
- Quick Knit Baby Beanie
- Knit Back Scrubber
- Half Fisherman Ribbed DIY Headband
- The Cascades Knit Scarf
- Little Black Tank Beginner Knit Pattern
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Peppermint Candies Wreath
- Christmas Gift Wrapping Idea
- 17 Free Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns Using Bulky Yarn
- Sparkly Plastic Canvas Christmas Ornaments
- 25 Free Patterns for Plastic Canvas
- Dashing Through The Snow Lighted Glass Decor
- DIY Clay Christmas Ornaments
- Cute Storage Plastic Container Craft
- Repurposed Map Ornaments
- Sparkly White Christmas Wreath
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home