Checkers Game Afghan
Crochet an afghan perfect for summer picnics, on which you can relax and enjoy a game of checkers. This pattern from Lily Sugar n' Cream includes instructions for the checker pieces, which also work as coasters. This is a great afghan to bring to a 4th of July BBQ, a family reunion, or just to have outside for the kids to use with their friends! This is a simple and fun pattern for beginners and a great crochet project for any time of year.
- 13 balls Lily® Sugar’n Cream® (70.9 g / 2.5 oz) yarn in Red (A)
- 13 balls Lily® Sugar’n Cream® (70.9 g / 2.5 oz) yarn in White (B)
- 2 balls Lily® Sugar’n Cream® (70.9 g / 2.5 oz) yarn in Bright Navy (C)
- 2 balls Lily® Sugar’n Cream® (70.9 g / 2.5 oz) yarn in White (for coasters)
- 2 balls Lily® Sugar’n Cream® (70.9 g / 2.5 oz) yarn in Bright Navy (for coasters)
- 5 mm (U.S. H or 8) crochet hook or size needed to obtain gauge
Gauge: 13 dc and 7 rows = 4 ins [10 cm].
Finished size: Approx 65 ins [165 cm] square.
Ch 3 at beg of row counts as dc. To change color, work to last 2 loops on hook at end of row. With new color, draw through 2 loops on hook, then proceed.
Strip 1 (make 4)
With A, ch 30.
1st row: 1 dc in 4th ch from hook (counts as 2 dc). 1 dc in each ch to end of ch. Turn. 28 dc.
2nd row: Ch 3. Miss first dc. 1 dc in next dc. 1 dc in each dc to end of row. 1 dc in top of turning ch. Turn.
Rep 2nd row 12 times more.
Change to B and rep 2nd row 14 times more.
These 28 rows form pat.
Rep last 28 rows twice more.
- Change to B and rep 2nd row 14 times more. Fasten off.
Strip 2 (make 4)
- Rep as for Strip 1 substituting A for B and B for A.
- Sew strips tog, alternating Strip 1 and Strip 2.
Join C with sl st to bottom right corner of Blanket.
1st rnd: Ch 1. 3 sc in same st as last sl st. Work 1 rnd of sc around Blanket, working 3 sc in each corner, 2 sc in each dc sp along sides and 1 sc in each sp between each dc along top and bottom. Join with sl st in first sc.
- 2nd rnd: Ch 1. 1 sc in same sp as last sl st. 3 sc in next sc (corner). Cont working sc around, having 3 sc in corners. Join with sl st in first sc. Fasten off.
Coasters (playing pieces) (make 12 each in B and C)
Ch 6. Join with sl st to form ring.
1st rnd: Ch 1. 10 sc in ring. Join with sl st in first sc.
2nd rnd: Ch 1. 1 sc in same sp as last sl st. *2 sc in next sc. 1 sc in next sc. Rep from * around, ending with 2 sc in last sc. Join with sl st in first sc. 15 sc.
3rd rnd: As 2nd rnd, ending with 1 sc in last sc. 22 sc.
4th rnd: As 2nd rnd. 33 sc.
5th rnd: Ch 1. 1 sc in same sp as last sl st. 1 sc in each sc around. Join with sl st to first sc.
- 6th rnd: As 3rd rnd. 49 sc. Fasten off.