Checkers Game Afghan
Crochet an afghan perfect for summer picnics, on which you can relax and enjoy a game of checkers. This pattern from Lily Sugar n' Cream includes instructions for the checker pieces, which also work as coasters. This is a great afghan to bring to a 4th of July BBQ, a family reunion, or just to have outside for the kids to use with their friends! This is a simple and fun pattern for beginners and a great crochet project for any time of year.
How cute is this crochet checkerboard blanket? Here are a couple more patterns just like it that we think you will love!: Blue and White Checkerboard Rug and Checkerboard Game Carpet.
- 13 balls Lily® Sugar’n Cream® (70.9 g / 2.5 oz) yarn in Red (A)
- 13 balls Lily® Sugar’n Cream® (70.9 g / 2.5 oz) yarn in White (B)
- 2 balls Lily® Sugar’n Cream® (70.9 g / 2.5 oz) yarn in Bright Navy (C)
- 2 balls Lily® Sugar’n Cream® (70.9 g / 2.5 oz) yarn in White (for coasters)
- 2 balls Lily® Sugar’n Cream® (70.9 g / 2.5 oz) yarn in Bright Navy (for coasters)
- 5 mm (U.S. H or 8) crochet hook or size needed to obtain gauge
Gauge: 13 dc and 7 rows = 4 ins [10 cm].
Finished size: Approx 65 ins [165 cm] square.
Ch 3 at beg of row counts as dc. To change color, work to last 2 loops on hook at end of row. With new color, draw through 2 loops on hook, then proceed.
Strip 1 (make 4)
With A, ch 30.
1st row: 1 dc in 4th ch from hook (counts as 2 dc). 1 dc in each ch to end of ch. Turn. 28 dc.
2nd row: Ch 3. Miss first dc. 1 dc in next dc. 1 dc in each dc to end of row. 1 dc in top of turning ch. Turn.
Rep 2nd row 12 times more.
Change to B and rep 2nd row 14 times more.
These 28 rows form pat.
Rep last 28 rows twice more.
- Change to B and rep 2nd row 14 times more. Fasten off.
Strip 2 (make 4)
- Rep as for Strip 1 substituting A for B and B for A.
- Sew strips tog, alternating Strip 1 and Strip 2.
Join C with sl st to bottom right corner of Blanket.
1st rnd: Ch 1. 3 sc in same st as last sl st. Work 1 rnd of sc around Blanket, working 3 sc in each corner, 2 sc in each dc sp along sides and 1 sc in each sp between each dc along top and bottom. Join with sl st in first sc.
- 2nd rnd: Ch 1. 1 sc in same sp as last sl st. 3 sc in next sc (corner). Cont working sc around, having 3 sc in corners. Join with sl st in first sc. Fasten off.
Coasters (playing pieces) (make 12 each in B and C)
Ch 6. Join with sl st to form ring.
1st rnd: Ch 1. 10 sc in ring. Join with sl st in first sc.
2nd rnd: Ch 1. 1 sc in same sp as last sl st. *2 sc in next sc. 1 sc in next sc. Rep from * around, ending with 2 sc in last sc. Join with sl st in first sc. 15 sc.
3rd rnd: As 2nd rnd, ending with 1 sc in last sc. 22 sc.
4th rnd: As 2nd rnd. 33 sc.
5th rnd: Ch 1. 1 sc in same sp as last sl st. 1 sc in each sc around. Join with sl st to first sc.
- 6th rnd: As 3rd rnd. 49 sc. Fasten off.
Read NextThe Flowers of Spring Afghan
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million crafters!
- Get free craft projects, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use