Bold and Beautiful Catherines Wheel Crochet Throw
By: Shari White for Red Heart Yarns
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Work from the center out, adding squares around to build this textural afghan. Both bold and beautiful, Catherine’s wheel is a classic pattern that’s fun to crochet from from Red Heart Yarn. Check out this pattern and more in our We've Got You Covered: 25 Crochet and Knit Throws free eBook from Red Heart Yarns.
Throw measures 50” x 50”.
- Red Heart® Super Saver® Red Heart® “Super Saver®” (Art. E300) Solid 7 oz (198 g), 364 yd (333 m); Multi, Fleck and Print 5 oz (141 g), 244 yd (223 m) skeins:
- 3 skeins each 964 Primary A and 320 Cornmeal B, 2 skeins each 624 Tea Leaf C and 378 Claret D
- Crochet Hook: 5.5mm [US I-9]
- Tapestry needle
GAUGE: 12 tr = 4”; 4 rows = 4”. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauge given.
On all back post (BP) sts, make the type of st indicated by inserting hook from the back, around in front of the post and out again to the back.
Partial tr – Yo twice, insert hook into st or space and pull up a loop, [yo and pull through 2 loops on hook] 2 times.
Partial BPtr – Yo twice, insert hook from the back, around in front of the post and out again to the back and pull up a loop, [yo and pull through 2 loops on hook] 2 times.
Reverse sc – With right side facing, work sc from left to right.
With A, ch 8, slip st to first ch to form ring.
Rnd 1:*Ch 4, 5 partial tr in ring, yo and pull through all 6 loops on hook—cluster made, ch 1 (top of cluster), ch 3 more, sc in ring; repeat from * 3 more times. Do not join.
Rnd 2: *12 tr in top of next cluster, sc in next sc, repeat from * 3 more times, slip st in first tr.
Rnd 3: With B, slip st in back lp of 9th tr, ch 4 (counts as first tr), partial BPtr in same st and next 3 tr, partial BPtr in sc, partial BPtr in next 4 tr, yo and pull through all 10 loops on hook, ch 1 (top of cluster), ch 3 more; slip st through both loops at base of last BPtr made—lower half of
beg circle made. Ch 4, partial BPtr in each of next 4 tr, yo and pull through all 5 loops on hook, ch 4, slip st thru both loops at base of last BPtr made—corner increase made. *Ch 4, partial BPtr in each of next (4 tr, sc, 4 tr), yo and pull thru all 10 loops on hook, ch 4, slip st thru both sts at base of last BPtr made—lower half of circle made, make corner increase; repeat from * 2 more times, slip st in first ch of beginning ch-4.
Rnd 4: *8 tr in center of lower half of circle of previous round, sc in next slip st, 12 tr in center st of corner increase, sc in next slip st; repeat from * 3 more times, slip st in first tr—upper half of circles made. Fasten off.
Rnd 5: With C, slip st in back loop of 9th tr in last circle from previous round, make lower half of beginning circle then lower half of circle, make corner inc, *make lower half of circle 2 times, make corner increase; repeat from * 2 more times, slip st in first ch of beginning ch-4.
Rnd 6: *[8 tr in center of lower half of circle of previous round, sc in slip st] 2 times, 12 tr in center of corner increase, sc in slip st; repeat from * 3 more times. Fasten off. Continue in this manner to work 2 rounds of colors D, then repeat color sequence of 2 rounds each of colors A, B, C and D until throw
measures 50” x 50”, ending with A.
Rnd 1: With B, BPslipst in first tr of any corner circle, ch 3 (counts as dc), BPdc in next tr, *BPhdc in next 2 tr, BPsc in next 2 tr, ch 3, BPsc in next 2 tr, BPhdc in next 2 tr, BPdc in next 2 tr, [BPtr in sc, BPdc in next tr, BPhdc in next tr, BPsc in next 4 tr, BPhdc in next tr, BPdc in next tr] across to corner, BPtr in sc, BPdc in next 2 tr; repeat from * around, omitting last 2 BPdc, slip st in top of ch-3. Fasten off.
Rnd 2: Join C in any corner ch-3 space, ch 1, *3 sc in ch- space, sc in each st across to corner; repeat from * around, slip st to first sc. Fasten off.
Rnd 3: Join D in any corner sc, ch 1, *3 sc in corner sc, sc in each sc across to corner; repeat from * around, slip st to first sc. Fasten off.
Rnd 4: Join A in any st, ch 1, reverse sc in each sc around, slip st to first sc. Fasten off.
Images from other crafters
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Arrow Stitch Crochet Afghan
- Bavarian Rainbow Afghan
- Under 6 Hours Crochet Throw Pattern
- Crocheted Amish Quilt-Inspired Throw
- Cozy Mile a Minute Throw
- Ripple Afghan Crochet Pattern
- Millionaire's Afghan
- 21 Gorgeous Free Crochet Throw Patterns
- Weekend-Wonder Giant Granny Square Throw
- Super Soft Granite Crochet Blanket
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- My Little Bird Applique
- Easy Pinwheel Flower
- 10 Minutes Colorful Butterfly Applique
- Vintage Candlestick Garden Plant Stand
- Super Fast Little Purse
- DIY Chokers in Different Styles
- Shell Stitch Baby Blanket
- Hooded Cabled Cape
- DIY Light Reflector
- How to Adjust Presser Foot Tension