Natural Nut and Pinecone Christmas Star
Mother Nature provides the materials for this door decoration; assorted nuts and pinecones are glued to a stocking shape cut from a foam sheet. This beautiful holiday decoration showcases subtle beauty and colors of nature. You can also use this decoration to decorate your space outside as well. Hang these ornaments from trees or hang them outside your front door to add some color to your winter home landscape. Easy to make and fun to show off, this project is also great to do with the kids.
- 2 12"x18"x1" STYROFOAM Brand sheets
- Unshelled almonds
- Seed pods
- Brown acrylic craft paint
- Ribbon, 1" brown grosgrain, 2 yds.
- Serrated knife
- Old candle
- Wire nippers
- Straight pin
- Acrylic shellac
- White craft glue
- Wax knife blade with an old candle for easier, smoother cuts. Following cutting diagram, cut 1/2 of star from each sheet. Join two halves together, using glue and toothpicks.
- Paint star brown; let dry.
- Carefully cut pinecones across the center to create "flower" shapes. Arrange dried materials on star to create a pleasing design. Glue materials to star, placing items as close together as possible. Fill in any bare spots with 1/2" pinecones. Let dry.
- Apply one to two coats of shellac. Let dry.
- Glue grosgrain ribbon around edge of star. Tie remaining ribbon in loop; glue and pin to top of star for hanger.