Canning Jar Lid Turned Snowman
Turn a metal canning jar lid into an adorable snowman decoration. Paints and a ribbon make this little frosty a great one for any room. Display him proudly or give him as a gift. It's easy to make.
- DecoArt No-Prep Metal Paint
- DMP01 - Bright White
- DMP06 - Bright Orange
- DMP09 - Strawberry Shake
- DMP20 - Bright Blue
- DMP32 - Coal Black
- Regular-mouth metal canning jar lid
- Foam plate
- Lo-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- 1/2" flat brush
- Liner brush
- 12" piece of 3/8" wide ribbon
- 10-mm round foam pouncer brush
- Use flat brush and Bright White to paint top of lid.
- Refer to photo for placement and use pouncer brush dipped in Strawberry Shake to dot on cheeks.
- Use end of brush handle dipped in Bright Blue to paint oval dots for eyes.
- Use liner brush and Bright Orange to paint carrot nose.
- Use end of liner brush handle dipped in Coal Black to paint row of dots for mouth.
- Use end of liner brush handle dipped in Bright White to dot highlights on eyes.
- Fold ribbon with ends uneven. Tie ribbon 2.5" from fold. Refer to photo and place bottom of lid between ribbon loop and glue ribbon scarf in place.
- Finish item as desired to create ornament, gift tag, pin, or magnet:
- For pin, attach self-adhesive pin back to upper center at back of completed lid.
- For magnet, attach 1" piece of self-adhesive magnetic strip to back center of completed lid.
- For ornament or gift tag, formloop from 10" length of 3/8" wide ribbon and glue between ribbon ends, aligning edges; glue ends to upper center back of lid.
- We used a new lid with silver finish and minimal lettering. Using lids with printing or colors may require basecoat of Bright White.
- Let dry after steps 1 through 6.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Oct 31, 2011
Am making "cookies in a jar" as neighbor gifts. the lid with this idea would be good. Just glue the ribbon around the outside edge of the lid top and glue an adhesive magnet to the back so it can go on the fridge after using the cookie recipe.
hometownusa49 9528 580
Aug 21, 2011
How about using a white paper plate and cutting out construction paper eyes, nose etc and glueing them on then add the cloth scarf? I work with nursing home patients and need easy items for them to do.
point2elephant 379 5789
Nov 26, 2010
Before I knew the canning jar lid as a snowman was a popular craft , I took it one step further. I added two tiny gliterry pompoms as earmuffs and attached a wire underneath to represent that it was part of the wintery headgear.
Nov 25, 2010
Not my favorite but looks like a good kids craft they could put their picture in it too.
Nov 18, 2010
This is a really cute craft. You could make several and hand them on the tree. You could also recycle metal juice lids to create this as well.
Nov 12, 2010
This is really cute! TFS
Nov 02, 2010
I think this project would make a nice ornament to put on your tree , I will give this a try , due to I am always looking for something different to put on my small tree, Thanks favecraft.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million crafters!
- Get free craft projects, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use