Topside Knit Cardi
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Inject some style into your wardrobe with this cute Topside Knit Cardi. Free sweater knitting patterns without long sleeves are not only faster to knit, but they are a great pattern to knit for fall. With a ribbed edge and cascading leaves lace pattern on the right side of the sweater, this pattern is simply a must-make for autumn.
Small (Medium, Large, 1X, 2X)
Bust: 36 3/4 (40 1/4, 43 3/4, 47 1/4, 51)", buttoned
Length: 21 1/4 (22 1/2, 24, 25, 26 3/4)"
- Stitch.Rock.Love. Sheep(ish) from Caron (70% Acrylic/30% Wool; 3oz/85g, 167yds/153m)#0006 Magenta(ish): 5 (5, 6, 7, 8) skeins
- One size US 9 (5.5mm) circular needle, 24" long, or size to obtain gauge
- One set US 9 (5.5mm) double-pointed needles
- Stitch markers
- Stitch holders or waste yarn
- 7 buttons, 1"/25mm diameter
- Yarn needle
In Reverse Stockinette stitch, 18 sts and 24 rows = 4"/10cm
P1-f/b: Purl next stitch, then purl it through back loop. (1 stitch increased)
Skp: Slip 1 stitch knitwise, k1, pass slipped stitch over. (1 stitch decreased)
Ssk: Slip next 2 stitches, 1 at a time, to RH needle as if to knit, return stitches to LH needle in new orientation, knit 2 stitches together through back loop. (1 stitch decreased)
Garter Stitch: Knit every row.
1x1 Rib (multiple of 2 sts)
All Rows: *K1, p1; rep from * to end.
Cascading Leaves Pattern (panel of 14 sts)
Note: You may work pattern from text or Chart.
Row 1 (RS): K3, k2tog, k1, yo, p2, yo, k1, skp, k3.
Row 2 and Every WS Row: P6, k2, p6.
Row 3: K2, k2tog, k1, yo, k1, p2, k1, yo, k1, skp, k2.
Row 5: K1, k2tog, k1, yo, k2, p2, k2, yo, k1, skp, k1.
Row 7: K2tog, k1, yo, k3, p2, k3, yo, k1, skp.
Row 8: Rep Row 2.
Rep Rows 1-8 for Cascading Leaves Pattern.
2x2 Rib (multiple of 4 sts)
All Rows: *K2, p2; rep from * to end.
Cardigan is worked in one piece from the top down.
With circular needle, CO 8 (10, 11, 12, 13) sts for Left Front, pm, 7 (8, 9, 10, 11) sts for Left Sleeve, pm, 20 (22, 24, 26, 28) sts for Back, pm, 7 (8, 9, 10, 11) sts for Right Sleeve, and 16 (16, 17, 18, 19) sts for Right Front–58 (64, 70, 76, 82) sts.
Work in 1x1 Rib for 1", ending with a WS row.
Shaping Row (RS): [Work in Rev St st to 1 st before marker, p1-f/b, slip marker, p1-f/b] 4 times, work in Rev St st to last 15 sts, work 14 sts of Cascading Leaves Pattern, p1–66 (72, 78, 84, 90) sts.
Continuing to work patterns as established, rep Shaping Row every other row 23 (26, 29, 32, 35) times, ending with a WS row–250 (280, 310, 340, 370) sts [32 (37, 41, 45, 49) sts for Left Front, 55 (62, 69, 76, 83) sts each Sleeve, 68 (76, 84, 92, 100) sts for Back, 40 (43, 47, 51, 55) sts for Right Front].
Next Row (RS): Purl to marker for Left Front, place next 55 (62, 69, 76, 83) sts on a st holder for Left Sleeve, removing markers, CO 8 sts for underarm, purl across sts for Back, place next 55 (62, 69, 76, 83) sts on a st holder for Right Sleeve, removing markers, CO 8 sts for underarm, work to end for Right Front–156 (172, 188, 204, 220) sts.
Work even in patterns as established until piece measures 9 (9, 9 1/2, 9 1/2, 10)", from underarm, ending with a WS row.
Next Row (RS): Change to 2x2 Rib; work even for 2 1/2". BO all sts loosely in rib.
Transfer sts from st holder to dpns. Pick up and purl 8 sts from underarm sts, purl to end–63 (70, 77, 84, 91) sts. Join to work in the rnd; place marker at beginning of rnd. Purl 1 rnd, dec 3 (6, 5, 4, 7) sts evenly around–60 (64, 72, 80, 84) sts. Work in 2x2 Rib for 1". BO all sts loosely in rib.
With RS facing, using circular needle, pick up and purl 3 sts for every 4 rows along Left Front. Work in Garter st for 2". BO all sts loosely.
Work as for Button Band until Band measures 1", ending with a WS row. Place markers for 7 buttons, the first and last 1" from top and bottom edge, and the remaining 5 evenly spaced between.
Buttonhole Row (RS): [Knit to marker, k2tog, (yo) twice, ssk] 7 times, knit to end.
Complete as for Button Band.
Using yarn needle, weave in ends. Sew on buttons.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- 53 Free Scarf Knitting Patterns
- 32 Quick and Easy Free Knitting Patterns and Beginner Help
- Cold Weather Knit Dickie
- Learn How to Knit for Beginners: 27 Easy Knitting Patterns eBook
- Positively Red Hat
- 13 Favorite Free Shawl and Poncho Knitting Patterns
- Rainbow Dog Sweater
- Easy Lace Shawl
- 15 Easy Lace Knitting Patterns + 6 New Tutorials
- Knitting Pattern Central: 614 Cool Knitting Patterns
- 12 Thrifty Trash to Treasure Crafts
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Crafts with Felt: Simple Craft Ideas, Felt Flowers & More
- 24 Tie-Dye Techniques: Free Tie-Dye Patterns
- 24 Valentine's Day Crafts for Kids: Lovely Kids Crafts Ideas and Projects
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- 41 Valentine's Day Crafts: Valentine's Day Cards, Gifts and More
- Cupid's Handmade Crafts
- Irish for a Day: St. Patrick's Day Craft and Recipe Guide
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Leisure Arts Book Bundle
- Polyform Sculpey Clay Beginner Pack
- Red Heart Fancy Yarn Pack
- 13 Spring Crafts: Easter Craft Ideas, Spring DIY Home Decor, and More free eBook
- American Quilter's Society Gift Card
- Marvy Uchida Easy Crystal Applicator
- Sizzix eclips2 DIY Electric Cutter Starter Kit
- Sheet Metal Bracelet DIY Craft Project
- Stenciled Metal Vase
- Structured Pattern Skirt DIY Craft Project