Vanilla Meringue Cowl
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
This Vanilla Meringue Cowl Knitting Pattern can be worn several different ways, making it the ultimate winter accessory. This knitted cowl is great for knitters of all skill levels and makes a wonderful stocking stuffer for the holiday season. The light color and simple style make it a great accessory with any outfit. Whether you're heading to the grocery store or on you way to a fancy event, this knit cowl pattern will keep you warm and toasty. You can pull it down over exposed shoulders or wear it around your neck to keep your face warm - the possibilities are endless. This cowl looks like a fancy accessory from a store at the mall, so be sure to see if your friends can tell the difference.
- Debbie Bliss Andes (65% Baby Alpaca, 35% Mulberry Silk; 1.75 oz (50 g)/110 yds (100 m)): #370002 off white - 2 (3, 4) hanks
- One pair size 3.75 mm (US #5); one pair size 5 mm (US #8) knitting needles; E-4/3.5 mm crochet hook
- Yarn needle
- Tape measure
Sizes and Gauge:
- Small/toddler (Medium/child, Large/adult)
- FINISHED MEASUREMENTS: Approx. 5.5 (8, 10)”/14 (20, 25.4) cm wide by 40 (46, 56)”/102 (117, 142) cm in circumference
- GAUGE: 18 sts x 28 rows = 4”/10 cm in Fisherman’s Rib using larger knitting needles (Gauge is not critical for this design.)
Once you start knitting cowls, you may not want to stop. Luckily there are plenty of patterns in the eBook 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners to keep your needles moving. Cowls are just the beginning - there are a ton of other free scarf patterns for you to enjoy. The variety of styles and colors will get you in the mood to knit. Make one for yourself and another for a friend - knit scarf patterns make great gifts.
BO - bind off
ch - chain
CO - cast on
dc - double crochet
dec - decrease(ing)
inc - increase(ing)
k - knit
kf&b - knit 1 st in the front, then 1 st in the back
p - purl
patt - pattern
RS - right side
sc - single crochet
sk - skip
sl - slip
sp - space
st(s) - stitch(es)
tog – together
WS - wrong side
yo - yarn over (winding yarn around needle)
Fisherman’s Rib: CO even amount of sts.
Row 1(RS): [K1, p1] across.
Row 2: [K1, yo, sl 1 purlwise] across.
Row 3: [K1 tog with yo from the previous row (knit the stitch that was slipped in the previous row together with its yarn over), yo, sl 1 purlwise] across.
Rep Row 3 for Fisherman’s Rib patt.
Crab st: (backward sc): Ch 1, sc from left to right, instead of from right to left (as in sc).
With smaller needle and MC, CO 12 (18, 22) sts.
Row 1(RS): P across.
Row 2(inc): kf&b across = 24 (36, 44) sts.
With larger size needles, work in Fisherman’s Rib for 38 (44, 54)”/96.5 (112, 137) cm, ending with RS row.
Next Row(WS): With smaller size needles, p across.
Next Row(dec): K2tog across = 12 (18, 22) sts.
BO all sts. DO NOT cut yarn.
Row 1(RS): With RS facing, slip loop onto crochet hook, working along BO edge of Body, ch 1, sc in each st across, turn = 12 (18, 22) sc.
Row 2: Working in front loops, ch 3, dc in each sc across, turn.
Row 3: Working in both loops, ch 4 (counts as dc and ch-1 sp), sk 1st dc, dc in next dc, [ch 1, sk next dc, dc in next dc] across, turn = 7 (10, 12) dc and 6 (9, 11) ch-1 sps.
Row 4: Ch 3, dc in 1st ch-1 sp, 2 dc in each ch-1 sp across, turn = 12 (18, 22) dc.
Row 5: Ch 1, sc in each dc across, DO NOT turn. 1st Finishing Band Edging
Row 6: Working from left to right, ch 1, reverse (crab) sc in each dc around, leaving long yarn tail, fasten off.
With RS of Band facing, sew Band to RS of Body facing (do not twist).
2nd Finishing Band Edging
With RS facing, join MC with sc around last st of Row 1 of Band, working from left to right in free loops of Row 1, ch 1, reverse (crab) sc in each dc around, leaving 10-15” yarn tail, fasten off.
Thread yarn tail through yarn needle and with RS of Band facing, join short edges of Band together.
Weave in loose ends.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 12 Easy DIY Projects
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 25 Easy to Make Homemade Jewelry Crafts
- Family Fun Crafts: 16 Craft Ideas for Kids
- Garden Crafts
- How To Make Tie Dye Shirts, Decor & More: 18 Tie Dye Patterns
- Learn How to Knit for Beginners: 27 Easy Knitting Patterns
- The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2015: Home Decor Ideas, DIY Jewelry, Easy Crochet Patterns and More
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Kindle Cover
- All Seasons Placemats
- Mini Mini Bow Toddler Tank Top
- HOW Hack Fab Fruit Bowl
- DIY Tutorial Copper Cushion
- DIY Tutorial Tassel Lanyard
- Big Bang Adult Coloring Page
- Perfect Profile Adult Coloring Page
- Geometric Adult Coloring Page
- Big Eyed Owl Adult Coloring Page