Jingle Bell Hats for the Family
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Check out these Christmas hats to knit for the whole family! Think how fun it will be to wear the jester hats for your Christmas card photo, to the holiday parade, and everywhere else this Winter. Make matching hats or mix up the colors to create a cute set of 3 adorable knit hats. Don't forget to embellish them with sweet jingle bells, too! These hats work up quickly and are a fun project for knitters of all skill levels. Here's a crafty tip: After Christmas, just remove the jingle bell and you've got a cozy and cute hat to take you through the winter!
- 1 skein Red Heart ® “Super Saver®” yarn in Cherry Red Cherry Red (Child) or Burgundy (Women) or Paddy Green (Men)
- 4.5mm [US 7] 16" Circular Knitting Needles
- 4.5mm [US 7] Double Pointed Needles
- 3 Stitch markers
- Yarn needle
- 3 jingle bells per hat
- Sewing needle and thread
Gauge: 18 sts = 4"; 24 rnds = 4" in St st. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size needles to obtain the gauge.
Hat Circumference: 16 (18½, 21¼)". Directions are for Children, changes for Women and Men sizes are in parentheses.
- With circular needle, cast on 68 (80, 92) sts. Join to work in the round making sure that sts are not twisted and place a marker between first and last sts.
- Rnd 1: * K2, P2; repeat from * around.
- Repeat Rnd 1 for ribbing for 4½ (5, 5)".
- K 1 rnd, inc 4 sts evenly spaced – 72 (84, 96) sts.
- Work even in St st for 3 (3½, 4½)" – 7½ (8½, 9½)" from beginning.
- [K 24 (28, 32), place marker on needle] twice, K 24 (28, 32) to marker at end of rnd.
- Rnd 1: K, inc 1 st before and after each marker – 6 sts inc in rnd.
- Rnd 2: K.
- Repeat Rnds 1 and 2 8 (9, 10) times – 126 (144, 162) sts.
Divide and Shape Points
Points will measure about 6 (7, 8)" from base to tip. To make points longer or shorter, adjust the number of rows between decrease rows.
- First Point: Place first 42 (48, 54) sts onto a dpn; leave remaining sts on the circular needle.
- Rnd 1: [K5 (6, 7) K2tog] 6 times – 36 (42, 48) sts.
- Rnds 2-6: K.
- Rnd 7: [K4( 5, 6) K2tog] 6 times – 30 (36, 42) sts.
- Rnds 8-12: K.
- Rnd 13: [K3 (4, 5) K2tog] 6 times – 24 (30, 36) sts.
- Rnds 14-18: K.
- Rnd 19: [K2 (3, 4) K2tog] 6 times – 18 (24, 30) sts.
- Rnds 20-24: K.
- Rnd 25: [K1( 2, 3) K2tog] 6 times – 12 (18, 24) sts.
- Rnds 26-30: K.
- Rnd 31: [K0 (1, 2) K2tog] 6 times – 6 (12, 18) sts.
- Rnds 32-36: K.
- Sizes Women and Men Only-Rnd 37: [K (0, 1) K2tog] 6 times – (6, 12) sts.
- Rnds 38-42: K.
- Size Men Only-Rnd 43: [K2tog] 6 times – 6 sts.
- Rnds 44-48: K.
- All Sizes: Cut yarn, leaving a 6" tail. With yarn needle,weave yarn tail through remaining sts; draw up firmly; fasten securely.
- 2nd Point: Place next 42 (48, 54) sts onto a dpn; leave remaining sts on the circular needle and work same as for First Point.
- 3rd Point: Place last 42 (48, 54) sts onto a dpn and work same as for First Point.
- Weave in ends. With sewing needle and thread, sew a bell to each tip. Turn up half of ribbing for cuff
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 31 Halloween Craft Projects
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Wrap Up With 25 Afghan Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- Quick & Thrifty Crochet Patterns
- Make It A Red Heart Holiday
- Quick and Easy Decoupage from Plaid
- Homemade Christmas Gift Guide
- 9 Thanksgiving Decorations to Make
- The Make My Own Holiday Gifts Guide
- Fun & Fabulous Mod Podge Projects From Plaid
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- T-shirt DIY Dog Toy
- Reversible Fabric DIY Headbands
- Pretty Bird DIY Birdhouses
- Denim Pockets DIY Organizer
- Snowball Fight Snowman Crafts
- Heart Stamped DIY Box
- Girls' Bolero Free Sewing Pattern
- Magnet Makeover Chalkboard Paint Ideas
- Last-Minute DIY Valentine
- Paper Box DIY Candle Holder