Garter Lace Cardigan
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Knit this short-sleeve lace cardigan for a spring wardrobe staple. The empire waist is flattering and touches such as a lace collar and button closure make this a quality piece. This cardigan knitting pattern is for intermediate knitters and could be knitted in any color yarn you'd like. This would be the perfect sweater to wear with a tank and jeans or use it to keep warm when you're wearing a fun sun dress. Great for spring and summer, this knit sweater is a fashion staple for girls of all ages.
- 6 (7, 9, 10, 11) balls RED HEART® “Eco-Cotton Blend” yarn in Moss
- 4.5 mm [US 7] circular needle, 36” long
- 3.75 mm [US F-5]
- Stitch markers
- stitch holders
- 2 buttons 1” diameter
- Yarn needle
Directions are for size X-Small. Changes for sizes Small, Medium, Large and X-Large are in parentheses.
- Finished Bust: 32 (36, 40, 44, 47)”
- Finished Length: 17½ (18½, 19½, 20½, 21½)”
Gauge: 19 sts = 4”; 32 rows = 4” in garter stitch. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauge.
- Sk2p: Slip 1 st, k2tog, pass slip st over,
- Ssk: Slip 2 sts purlwise to right needle, insert point of left needle through front of sts, k2tog through back loop.
Cardigan is worked back and forth in rows in one piece to armholes. Sleeves are joined to Body stitches to work Raglan shaping. Circular needle is used to accommodate the large number of stitches.
Lace Stitch (multiple of 6 sts + 4)
- Row 1 (Right Side): K2, *yo, sk2p, yo, k3; repeat from * to last 2 stitches, k2.
- Row 2: Purl.
- Row 3: K2, *k3, yo, sk2p, yo; repeat from * to last 2 sts, k2.
- Row 4: Purl.
- Repeat Rows 1-4 for Lace stitch.
Sleeve (Make 2)
- Cast on 52 (58, 64, 70, 76) sts.
- Knit 5 rows.
- Beginning with Row 1, work Rows 1-3 of Lace stitch.
- Change to garter stitch and work until piece measures 2½ (3, 3, 3½, 3½)” from beginning, end with a wrong side row.
- Bind off 3 (4, 5, 6, 7) sts at beginning of next 2 rows – 46 (50, 54, 58, 62) sts.
- Slip sts to a stitch holder for Raglan shaping.
- Cast on 154 (172, 190, 208, 226) sts.
- Knit 5 rows.
Next Row (Right Side)
- K3, beginning with Row 1, work in Lace stitch to last 3 sts, k3.
- Keeping first and last 3 sts in garter st and center sts in Lace stitch, work until piece measures 9½ (10, 10½, 11, 11½)” from beginning, end with a right side row. Work garter st across all sts and work for 3½” more, end with a right side row.
- Next Row (Wrong Side): K36 (40, 44, 48, 52) for Left Front, bind off 6 (8, 10, 12, 14) sts, k70 (76, 82, 88, 94) sts for Back, bind off 6 (8, 10, 12, 14) sts, k36 (40, 44, 48, 52) sts for Right Front.
- Next Row (Right Side): K36 (40, 44, 48, 52) sts of Right Front, place marker, k46 (50, 54, 58, 62) sts from Sleeve stitch holder, place marker, k70 (76, 82, 88, 94) sts of Back, place marker, k46 (50, 54, 58, 62) sts from Sleeve stitch holder, place marker, k36 (40, 44, 48, 52) sts of Left Front – 234 (256, 278, 300, 322) sts.
- Knit 1 row.
- Decrease Row (Right Side): K2tog, *knit to 2 sts before marker, ssk, k2tog; repeat from * 3 more times, knit to last 2 sts, ssk – 224 (246, 268, 290, 312) sts; 10 sts decreased.
- Working in garter st, repeat Decrease Row every other row 16 (18, 20, 22, 24) more times – 64 (66, 68, 70, 72) sts.
- Knit 1 row
- Decrease Row: K2tog, ssk, *knit to 2 sts before marker, ssk, k2tog; repeat from * 2 more times – 56 (58, 60, 62, 64) sts; 8 sts decreased.
- Knit 1 row.
- Bind off.
- With wrong side facing, join yarn at beginning of Neck shaping on Left Front Neck, pick up and knit 130 (136, 142, 148, 154) sts evenly around Neck edge.
- Next Row (Wrong Side): K3, purl to last 3 sts, k3.
- Next Row: K3, beginning with Row 1, work Lace stitch to last 3 sts, k3.
- Keeping first and last 3 sts in garter st and center sts in Lace stitch, work until Collar measures 3” from beginning, end with a right side row.
- Knit 4 rows.
- Bind off knitwise.
- Sew Sleeve and underarm seams.
- With crochet hook, make 2 chains, each 2” long, leaving long ends.
- Fold chains in half and using ends, sew chains to Right Front for button loops, one at beginning of Neck shaping and second at beginning of garter st. Sew buttons on Left Front opposite button loops.
- Weave in ends.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 13 Spring Crafts: Easter Craft Ideas, Spring DIY Home Dcor, and More
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Projects Every Crafter Wants
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Easter Craft eBook: Blogger Edition
- Garden Crafts
- Hop into Spring: Easter Crafting and Recipe
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- It's A Boy Light-Up Card
- Monogrammed China Plate
- DIY Felt Flowers
- Free Happy Thoughts Printable Coloring Page + Video
- Gathered Waist Summer Dress Pattern
- Ahoy America DIY Wreath
- Testors Craft Acrylic Paint Collection
- Fabric Creations Paints and Block Printing Stamps
- Boye NeedleMaster Interchangeable Needle System
- How to Sew Knits Without a Serger