Easy Baby Cardigan
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
This baby sweater knitting pattern creates a comfy cardigan for the little boy or girl. The smart shape to this cardigan makes it easy to knit and you can easily customize this sweater to be any color you'd like. Create two or three of these baby sweater knitting patterns to give as a gift for the new little one in your life.
You can find this beginner knit pattern, along with several other easy knitting patterns, in our free eBook, Learn How to Knit for Beginners: 27 Easy Knitting Patterns.
3 (6-12-18) mos.
- 3 (3, 4, 4) balls Patons® Bamboo Baby (50 g /1.75 oz) yarn in Seaside Ombre or Rose Iris Ombre
- Size 4 mm (U.S 6) knitting needles or size needed to obtain tension
- 3 buttons
Gauge: 20 sts and 36 rows = 4 ins [10 cm] in garter st.
The instructions are written for smallest size. If changes are necessary for larger sizes the instructions will be written thus ( ).
To fit chest measurement: 16 (17-18-20) ins
Finished chest: 19 (21-22-24) ins
Cast on 48 (52-56-60) sts. Work in garter st (knit every row) until work from beg measures 7½ (8-9-10) ins [19 (20.5-23- 25.5) cm], noting first row is WS and ending with a WS row.
Next 2 rows: Cast on 18 (20-22-25) sts beg next 2 rows. 84 (92-100-110) sts at end of 2nd row.
- Cont even for 3½ (3¾-4-4½) ins [9 (9.5- 10-11.5) cm], ending with a WS row. Cast off.
Left Front (for girls) or Right Front (for boys)
**Cast on 28 (30-32-34) sts. Work in garter st (knit every row) until work from beg measures 7½ (8-9-10) ins [19 (20.5-23-25.5) cm], noting first row is WS for girls or RS for boys** and ending with a WS row.
***Next row: Cast on 18 (20-22-25) sts. Knit to end of row. 46 (50-54-59) sts.
Cont even for 3½ (3¾-4-4½) ins [9 (9.5- 10-11.5) cm], ending with a WS row. Cast off.***
Place 3 markers Left Front (for girls) or Right Front (for boys) for buttonholes, having top button 3 (3½-3½-4) ins [7.5 (9- 9-10) cm] down from top edge, bottom button 1 inch [2.5 cm] up from bottom edge and last button spaced evenly between.
- Work buttonholes as follows: Next row: (RS). K2. K2tog. yfwd. Knit to end of row.
Right Front (for girls) or Left Front (for boys)
Work from ** to ** as given above, ending with a RS row and noting position of buttonholes.
- Work from *** to *** as given above.
Place markers 30 (33-36-40) sts in from each side of sleeve along cast off edge of Back and Fronts. Sew cast off edges to markers. Sew side and sleeve seams.
- Fold back lapels as shown. Sew on buttons.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 31 Halloween Craft Projects
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- Homemade Halloween Decorations
- Recycled Craft Ideas: Easy Crafts to Make with Recycled Material
- 11 DIY Christmas Decorations and Gift Ideas
- 11 Teacher-Approved Crafts for School
- 12 Easter Egg Ideas & Easter Crafts for Adults
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Expression Fiber Arts
- Easy Printable Habit Tracker
- Printable Task Manager
- Printable Password Keeper
- Easy DIY Jewelry Stand
- Delightful Mother's Day Bookmarks
- Make Mom Smile Mother's Day Coupons
- Night Before Christmas Adult Coloring Page
- Carousel Horse DIY Costume
- Q-tip Rudolph Ornament