Recycled Metal Art Collage
By: Mary Lynn Maloney for Jacquard Products
Do you like making art more than making dinner? The Piñata Inks from Jacquard Products can help you turn metal kitchen utensils into a fun and colorful collage.
- Mini muffin tin
- Jacquard Piñata (Sunbright Yellow, Calabaza Orange, Sapphire Blue, Lime Green, Chili Pepper Red, Claro Extender, Clean Up Solution)
- old metal measuring spoon
- Beacon Adhesives Glass, Metal & More Glue
- 22 gauge wire (blue, pink, orange, silver)
- Vintage kitchen/homemaker image of choice
- small canning jar lid
- Three white plastic shank buttons
- Nunn Design Metal Embellishments (Flower, Heart Charms)
- Tacky glue
- Wash and dry muffin tin. Squeeze a few drops of Sunbright Yellow onto a piece of sponge. Randomly dab the top surface of muffin tin. Do not put color into the muffing cups yet. Repeat with Calabaza Orange. Follow with random dabs of Sapphire Blue. Allow some areas of colors to mix and puddle together while letting some areas dry first before adding the second color. Squeeze a random drop of Claro Extender and/or Clean-Up Solution on a few areas of the tin. This creates an interesting spreading effect, and will change the appearance of the colors. Experiment with this part; it’s great fun.
- Squeeze a few drops of Lime Green into the top row of muffin cups. Follow with a drop of Extender. Move the tin around to spread color inside of cup. Repeat process on the second row of cups using the Sunbright Yellow. Repeat process, alternating the Green and Yellow, on remaining rows of cups.
- Lay metal embellishments onto scrap paper. Squeeze a drop of Calabaza Orange onto their surfaces. Let dry, then follow with Chili Pepper Red and Sapphire Blue.
- Cut shanks from the white plastic buttons. Repeat the coloring process from Step 3 on the surfaces of the buttons.
- Cut colored wires to 30" lengths. Attach the metal embellishments to the wires by wrapping and twisting. Arrange the embellishments to dangle over the tops of muffin cups, as shown in photo. Wrap and twist wire around to back of tin. Twist wire tightly to secure to tin (this also serves as a hanger for the finished piece). Cut any excess wire.
- Use Tacky glue to adhere vintage image to inside of muffin cup. Use Glass, Metal & More Glue to adhere canning jar lid around muffin cup. Glue measuring spoon vertically below canning lid. Glue a button into a spoon. Glue remaining buttons in muffin cups on either side of spoon. Let piece dry thoroughly.